I can’t shut out background noise

Hi does anyone else suffer from the inability to block out noise?  I hear my neighbours, I hear the traffic, car doors slamming, flat doors slamming, barking dogs and I can’t block any of it out.  I live with noise cancelling headphones on all the time, it is now affecting my gait so I’ve been advised to not wear them so much but it is the only way I can deal with the world.  I find it is much worse when I don’t sleep and I never sleep well.  I feel overwhelmed with the noise around me and lost.  Does it ever get better?  The older I get the worse it gets.  I’m having difficulty dealing with every day life.  Does it ever get any better?  I feel like if I couldn’t hear anymore, it would be a relief. I’m constantly exhausted.  Everyone try’s to take your money by promising this supplement will help, or dietary changes will make it better.  Has anyone found anything that makes it better?

Parents
  • I wear hearing aids switched off, they have clear glue over the external mic and have cotton stuffed in the end that goes into the ear, It gives the best reduction of sound I've ever found but you need to use your eyes more especially on roads (with cars been really quiet these days) as you really can't hear them until they are on top of you.

I don't know if NHS would give them just for cutting out sound but maybe if could afford to go private you might be able to buy a pair from specsavers. I have seen online mention of hearing aids been used for kids with auditory processing disorder.  Behind the ear Tinnitus maskers may also work the same then you'd have both the 'white noise' option and been able to turn them off and block them off.

You might find this interesting

www.reddit.com/.../

• also I want to add if you read the article on someone using misophonia with hearing aids, they were using the white noise option and told NOT to use them to block the world out.  Back when I was young no-one told me this, there was no internet and no-one realised I was wearing them constantly turned off (unless I was using the T setting to listen to a walkman!) ..so consequently I've got to 50 and my sound phobia is just as bad and I can't leave the house without all external noises blocked off.

Now using hearing aids as white noise maskers for hearing people is seen as more 'acceptable' and used as a treatment method it may help you to see if you can find and follow a treatment plan. The aim is it reduces your sensitivity and lessens your trigger reactions if you do it right.

• also I want to add if you read the article on someone using misophonia with hearing aids, they were using the white noise option and told NOT to use them to block the world out.  Back when I was young no-one told me this, there was no internet and no-one realised I was wearing them constantly turned off (unless I was using the T setting to listen to a walkman!) ..so consequently I've got to 50 and my sound phobia is just as bad and I can't leave the house without all external noises blocked off.

Now using hearing aids as white noise maskers for hearing people is seen as more 'acceptable' and used as a treatment method it may help you to see if you can find and follow a treatment plan. The aim is it reduces your sensitivity and lessens your trigger reactions if you do it right.

Children
No Data