Reasons you DON'T want to die, whether deliberately or not...

Hello

I am currently working on a suicide prevention/crisis plan. One of the questions are 'what are your reasons for living', I really have no idea and can't think of any and have said this to my worker.

I wondered what other ASD/AS people's answer would be to this.

If you can, a sentence or two written would be welcome.

Thanks

Parents
  • There are many positive things about life, but I know first hand that "count your blessings" is rarely helpful advice. At the moment I'm often finding myself saying "I'm happy, or at least content, but I rarely *feel* happy". Anyway, I'll list the positives that come to my mind:

• The love I share with my wife.
    • Blackbirds singing after rain.
    • Petrichor
    • Coffee
    • Chocolate
    • Sunsets
    • Sunrises
    • Waking up excited about your hobby
    • Curry
    • Wagamammas
    • Music
    • Learning stuff
    • Going to be tired & sleeping well
    • Cycling gently on a balmy summer evening
    • Running
  • There are many positive things about life, but I know first hand that "count your blessings" is rarely helpful advice. At the moment I'm often finding myself saying "I'm happy, or at least content, but I rarely *feel* happy". Anyway, I'll list the positives that come to my mind:

• The love I share with my wife.
    • Blackbirds singing after rain.
    • Petrichor
    • Coffee
    • Chocolate
    • Sunsets
    • Sunrises
    • Waking up excited about your hobby
    • Curry
    • Wagamammas
    • Music
    • Learning stuff
    • Going to be tired & sleeping well
    • Cycling gently on a balmy summer evening
    • Running
Children
  • So, when I am really low I convince myself that there are no reasons for living. No one will miss me, I'm a pain in the butt for the few that know me. 

At those times it's literally about getting to the next day. So my hard times list is:

• I can pick up an instrument and play a tune. The wonder of physics makes the resonating string make a sound wave and the wonder of biology makes me hear it. 
    • I can eat weetabix in the morning with hot milk. 
    • I can feel my heart beat and it's been beating my whole life since I was an embryo, without stopping.
    • I can get up and watch the sun rise. Then think about why I can see it rise and why I'm seeing colours and why the world is spinning round on its axis and orbiting the sun and at that moment I am observing it. 

When I'm really on the edge, apart from the weetabix I literally have to appreciate life based on physics and biology when I can start to wonder about it and eventually the next day comes.