Autism and Dentist.

Hello everyone

I recently took the plunge to see the dentist after 7 years due to me getting really bad tooth ache after ingoring the fact that I have broken my tooth last april when holiday and never went to get it looked at and removed it because I generally don't like the fact that you have to pay for treatment e.t.c also I have had bad experiences with dentist in the past so If I have to go it has to been with a special needs dentist and the one I saw yesterday became my go to dentist person and see will be doing all the treatment I need like a tooth removal, a filling and clean but the dentist person is going to be building me up to the tooth removal stage and by doing minor treatments to get me used to what going on and what the person is like.

Has anyone esle had issues with dentist or struggle to see a Special Needs ones and what are your thoughts on the dentist and autism situation. 

Parents
  • Well, I have to confess, I haven't been to a dentist since my parents used to drag me there as a child - so more than 30 years now (likewise with the optician). It's also not unusual for me to go without brushing them for weeks, or even months, on end. Oddly enough, the only ones which have ever given me any trouble have been the ones which dentists mucked around with when I was little - they were badly crowded, so I had a few extractions and some of them filed down.

I just don't seem to be able to overcome my "que sera sera" attitude to health problems. If it hadn't been for needing sick-notes when I couldn't cope with employment, I probably would never have seen the doctor about my anxiety and depression, and likely would never have had my autism diagnosed. Having to book appointments over the phone, and hating to have people prodding and poking at me certainly don't help, but I think it's more that I have a very fatalistic attitude to my health, and to life in general. If my teeth all drop out, I'll just eat soup (it would be no less monotonous than my current diet), and if it leads to an illness which might kill me, so be it - I've always been indifferent to whether I wake up again tomorrow or not.

• Well, I have to confess, I haven't been to a dentist since my parents used to drag me there as a child - so more than 30 years now (likewise with the optician). It's also not unusual for me to go without brushing them for weeks, or even months, on end. Oddly enough, the only ones which have ever given me any trouble have been the ones which dentists mucked around with when I was little - they were badly crowded, so I had a few extractions and some of them filed down.

I just don't seem to be able to overcome my "que sera sera" attitude to health problems. If it hadn't been for needing sick-notes when I couldn't cope with employment, I probably would never have seen the doctor about my anxiety and depression, and likely would never have had my autism diagnosed. Having to book appointments over the phone, and hating to have people prodding and poking at me certainly don't help, but I think it's more that I have a very fatalistic attitude to my health, and to life in general. If my teeth all drop out, I'll just eat soup (it would be no less monotonous than my current diet), and if it leads to an illness which might kill me, so be it - I've always been indifferent to whether I wake up again tomorrow or not.

Children
  • Have a up and down relationship with Healthcare, if you seen my post about me opening up about my autism journey and adoption journey, I mentioned I have a strange thing where I like to see what it feels like to be in other people shoes and healthcare plays major part in that sitiuation 

• yep its the "I dont care thoughts" which I am meeting head on. its like D day in my head --- charge ...attack .... push these fixed thoughts out !    

you have a very uncomplicated view of life in a way. Do you read Zen,, philosophy  ?

I have no boundaries so dont be afraid to say "thats not nice"