Dental Health Options & Anxiety

I'm recovering from a long bout of depression during which I neglected to look after my teeth as a form of self harm.

About a month ago I visited my dentist for a checkup and I have been referred to a clinic which offers sedation for the extractions I need, but due to the waiting list I will have to wait until January.

Unfortunately my jaw has become infected. I went back to my dentist and was given a course of antibiotics, which I have completed but the pain from both the damaged teeth and the swollen lymph glands is still present.

I get the feeling that if I go to my GP, they'll tell me to go back to my dentist, who will tell me to contact the other clinic, who will tell me to wait until January.

Please can somebody give me some advice? The pain is overwhelming my ability to concentrate and is causing me to lose sleep.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Parents
  • Just a quick update, I've been back to visit my dentist and been prescribed a more powerful antibiotic.

There's been a huge increase in the pain level and my dentist will be closed all weekend and on Monday.

Still a few days of medication left so I'll try to be patient. It's difficult to focus through all the pain.

• Just a quick update, I've been back to visit my dentist and been prescribed a more powerful antibiotic.

There's been a huge increase in the pain level and my dentist will be closed all weekend and on Monday.

Still a few days of medication left so I'll try to be patient. It's difficult to focus through all the pain.

Children
  • Hi Anthus Tenebris,

I'm sorry to hear you have been depressed, but glad you are recovering and now have some stronger antibiotics too.

GPs used to be able to get whichever service or clinic they were referring their patient to to prioritise that patient (i.e. regard them as an urgent case and put them at or near the top of their waiting list) - it may be that they still can, so can your dentist tell the sedation clinic that they need to see you urgently because you are in so much pain?

Otherwise, hospitals (I assume all of them) provide emergency dental treatment, including extractions, so you could try your local hospital, if your dentist can't get the clinic to prioritise you - or if the pain is too much over the bank holiday weekend.

There is some information here: https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/dental-health/how-can-i-access-an-nhs-dentist-in-an-emergency-or-out-of-hours/ about emergency NHS dentists and a section called 'When to go to hospital' (i.e. A&E), which lists 'severe pain' as one of the reasons. From what you have said, you are in very severe pain so would be entitled to go to your A&E.

I hope you manage to have the extractions done somewhere soon, as that sounds really painful.