Motion sickness

I've always suffered with car sickness and the NAS website suggests that this could be due to issues with balance (it's listed as part of vestibular over-sensitivity).

However, I find that it's not just car travel that gives me motion sickness - it happens with video games too (which is really annoying because I do enjoy playing them, but I find myself feeling like I'm going to be sick after about 20 minutes!).

I'm curious - does anyone else experience motion sickness? What triggers it for you?

Parents
  • I get a delayed sickness- it has some posh name like "mal de debarquement syndrome" - what it basically means is a cumulative effect of travel builds up, and then I get really dizzy when I am lying down in bed, and it feels then like the world is spinning. If it carries on then I can also struggle to stand up/walk straight.

I went on holiday a couple of years ago and went on a crazy number of different modes of transport -- think it was 36 connections in a week - like train, bus, boat, cable car, funicular railway etc and by the end of the week my head was spinning!

However for me the worst by far is lifts! I will choose to walk up and down 7 flights of stairs by the 2nd day on holiday rather than take a lift.

Another really bad place is Superdrug...bright lights, noise, smell of perfumes, and everything I ever want is always on the bottom shelf - when I stand back up again I have to hold onto the shelf.

Oh - there is also a carpet at work that I hate walking on - it has a complicated pattern so overloads me visually and the texture is ever so slightly different to the carpet around it. From talking to colleagues i know it isn't just me with that one!

• I've never heard of mal de debarquement syndrome, but it sounds awful! That holiday would be a lot for anyone, but it must be even worse if you're really travel sick. Did you at least get to see some interesting places?

I share your hatred of Superdrug! It doesn't make me dizzy, but I do get quite disorientated and struggle to concentrate on what I'm therefore. Definitely too bright, noisy and smelly (all the mirrors don't help either - it's a big, shiny mess)!

That carpet sounds unpleasant Grimacing

• the holiday was ace - superbly well organised and well planned...errr...by me!

If anyone is keen for a new autistic special interest, then I can highly recommend a look into the integrated transport system of the Swiss railways. Absolutely compelling, and of course, being Swiss, you know it will all work exactly as it should and will all run on time.

• I went to Switzerland for the first time this year - I loved it Slight smile We travelled everywhere by train and it's so much more relaxing than messing around with British trains. Reliable, cleaner and much quieter Slight smile

Reply Children
No Data