Motion sickness

I've always suffered with car sickness and the NAS website suggests that this could be due to issues with balance (it's listed as part of vestibular over-sensitivity).

However, I find that it's not just car travel that gives me motion sickness - it happens with video games too (which is really annoying because I do enjoy playing them, but I find myself feeling like I'm going to be sick after about 20 minutes!).

I'm curious - does anyone else experience motion sickness? What triggers it for you?

Parents
  • I get a delayed sickness- it has some posh name like "mal de debarquement syndrome" - what it basically means is a cumulative effect of travel builds up, and then I get really dizzy when I am lying down in bed, and it feels then like the world is spinning. If it carries on then I can also struggle to stand up/walk straight.

I went on holiday a couple of years ago and went on a crazy number of different modes of transport -- think it was 36 connections in a week - like train, bus, boat, cable car, funicular railway etc and by the end of the week my head was spinning!

However for me the worst by far is lifts! I will choose to walk up and down 7 flights of stairs by the 2nd day on holiday rather than take a lift.

Another really bad place is Superdrug...bright lights, noise, smell of perfumes, and everything I ever want is always on the bottom shelf - when I stand back up again I have to hold onto the shelf.

Oh - there is also a carpet at work that I hate walking on - it has a complicated pattern so overloads me visually and the texture is ever so slightly different to the carpet around it. From talking to colleagues i know it isn't just me with that one!

• I get a delayed sickness- it has some posh name like "mal de debarquement syndrome" - what it basically means is a cumulative effect of travel builds up, and then I get really dizzy when I am lying down in bed, and it feels then like the world is spinning. If it carries on then I can also struggle to stand up/walk straight.

I went on holiday a couple of years ago and went on a crazy number of different modes of transport -- think it was 36 connections in a week - like train, bus, boat, cable car, funicular railway etc and by the end of the week my head was spinning!

However for me the worst by far is lifts! I will choose to walk up and down 7 flights of stairs by the 2nd day on holiday rather than take a lift.

Another really bad place is Superdrug...bright lights, noise, smell of perfumes, and everything I ever want is always on the bottom shelf - when I stand back up again I have to hold onto the shelf.

Oh - there is also a carpet at work that I hate walking on - it has a complicated pattern so overloads me visually and the texture is ever so slightly different to the carpet around it. From talking to colleagues i know it isn't just me with that one!

Children
  • I've never heard of mal de debarquement syndrome, but it sounds awful! That holiday would be a lot for anyone, but it must be even worse if you're really travel sick. Did you at least get to see some interesting places?

I share your hatred of Superdrug! It doesn't make me dizzy, but I do get quite disorientated and struggle to concentrate on what I'm therefore. Definitely too bright, noisy and smelly (all the mirrors don't help either - it's a big, shiny mess)!

That carpet sounds unpleasant Grimacing