Just had my first appointment, need some help.

So basically I've just returned from my first appointment at my local community mental health centre after being referred by my GP.

I felt that the conversation I had when there was very broad and didn't really take into account any wider points, specifically more related to Asperger's. The majority of the question were about the social side of things, which I understand is obviously a big part of AS, but other characteristics affects me too and make life difficult.

All in all we spoke for only 15 to 20 minutes before she concluded I don't have AS, that I have social anxiety and depression and tried to pit me on a course of anti-depressants. She said she'd book me another appointment to see her in 3 months, and one to see a psychiatrist about the social anxiety. I declined the medication, not least because I'm not depressed, but also because I am put off by side effects and such.

I understand how social anxiety can be very closely related to AS, but I feel she didn't listen to or pay any attention to the other characteristics and such that are covered by the umbrella that is AS. Obviously some days I feel 'down' about things, but it's very far from being depressed and I feel as if they've just made an extremely quick decision in trying to offer me anti depressants before fully understanding everything.

Should I just continue and go to the appointment in 3 months, and the one with the psychiatrist, or should I go back to my GP and try and get referred to someone else who may pay more attention to me?

I probably should've mentioned, I'm 20.

Thanks for any advice/help :)

Parents
  • As you are probably also aware, AS begins in very early childhood. You are of course born with it, but the symptoms often don't manifest themselves until age 3/4.

My Mum observed these traits in me (yours might be different, as no two people with AS are the same, but we all share the so called triad of impairments - communication, interaction, THeory of mind (I prefer this to 'imagination'):

Walking on tiptoes when not wearing shoes, or when wearing plimsoles in PE lessons

Poor manual dexterity - health visitor was concerned that I could not build a tpwer out of plastic bricks age 18 months

Excessive giggling. apparently for no reason

Extreme tantrums when I could not get my way

Hyperactive - very energetic

Never sat still during reading time at nursery

Narrow interests around food - was all I talked about

Made one friend at school when age 7, but constantly broke up with her, long periods alone in playground

OCD developed around germs and safety. Excessive hand washing from age 7

Fear of school fire alarm in year 1: thought the school would burn down every time it went off

Excellent reading ability, but extremely poor comprehension

Ed Psych called in to assess me. Had very low performance IQ, but very high verbal IQ

I was immature and often annoyed the other kids

However, I had no real sensory problems to speak of (except maybe with some noise and I did have coordination issues). Also, I could pretend play to an extent and could tell some little lies. But I had enough clinically significant symptoms to be diagnosed with Aspergers, and this best fits my whole development.

Out of interest, how long have you suspected AS?

• As you are probably also aware, AS begins in very early childhood. You are of course born with it, but the symptoms often don't manifest themselves until age 3/4.

My Mum observed these traits in me (yours might be different, as no two people with AS are the same, but we all share the so called triad of impairments - communication, interaction, THeory of mind (I prefer this to 'imagination'):

Walking on tiptoes when not wearing shoes, or when wearing plimsoles in PE lessons

Poor manual dexterity - health visitor was concerned that I could not build a tpwer out of plastic bricks age 18 months

Excessive giggling. apparently for no reason

Extreme tantrums when I could not get my way

Hyperactive - very energetic

Never sat still during reading time at nursery

Narrow interests around food - was all I talked about

Made one friend at school when age 7, but constantly broke up with her, long periods alone in playground

OCD developed around germs and safety. Excessive hand washing from age 7

Fear of school fire alarm in year 1: thought the school would burn down every time it went off

Excellent reading ability, but extremely poor comprehension

Ed Psych called in to assess me. Had very low performance IQ, but very high verbal IQ

I was immature and often annoyed the other kids

However, I had no real sensory problems to speak of (except maybe with some noise and I did have coordination issues). Also, I could pretend play to an extent and could tell some little lies. But I had enough clinically significant symptoms to be diagnosed with Aspergers, and this best fits my whole development.

Out of interest, how long have you suspected AS?

Children
No Data