Just had my first appointment, need some help.

So basically I've just returned from my first appointment at my local community mental health centre after being referred by my GP.

I felt that the conversation I had when there was very broad and didn't really take into account any wider points, specifically more related to Asperger's. The majority of the question were about the social side of things, which I understand is obviously a big part of AS, but other characteristics affects me too and make life difficult.

All in all we spoke for only 15 to 20 minutes before she concluded I don't have AS, that I have social anxiety and depression and tried to pit me on a course of anti-depressants. She said she'd book me another appointment to see her in 3 months, and one to see a psychiatrist about the social anxiety. I declined the medication, not least because I'm not depressed, but also because I am put off by side effects and such.

I understand how social anxiety can be very closely related to AS, but I feel she didn't listen to or pay any attention to the other characteristics and such that are covered by the umbrella that is AS. Obviously some days I feel 'down' about things, but it's very far from being depressed and I feel as if they've just made an extremely quick decision in trying to offer me anti depressants before fully understanding everything.

Should I just continue and go to the appointment in 3 months, and the one with the psychiatrist, or should I go back to my GP and try and get referred to someone else who may pay more attention to me?

I probably should've mentioned, I'm 20.

Thanks for any advice/help :)

Parents
  • All I was told was that the psychiatrist appointment will take longer than the 3 month wait to see the same woman again. 

I feel I'm not quite sure why I'll be seeing the same woman in 3 months anyway, she said it was for a 'review' to see if I still feel the same. When I've felt like this and known something wasn't quite right for years, it's not going to suddenly change and I become a wonderous social butterfly. 

She also seemed very intent in trying to steer me away from even wanting a diagnosis for AS. Telling me it takes months of repeated appointments seeing the same person, and that they only have one person who can diagnose AS there which further prolongs the process. Also that people who get a diagnosis don't find it makes any difference or helps in any way. 

Now obviously I know having a diagnosis wouldn't suddenly 'fix' things as such, but it gives me an explanation as to why I am the way I am and why I doc ertain things. It'd also make life infinitely easier for me when it comes to the JobCentre and the work program. I feel they'd be able to better help me find work suited to myself, as it's not that I don't want to work, I obviously just find a lot of jobs awkward/difficult at times. 

I just feel lost knowing I'm going to be waiting 3 months+ to probably get exactly the same answer now, and be back at square one. I know it's obviously not 100% I do have AS, it's quite difficult to pinpoint mental health problems like that in adults. But I can also say with 100% certainty that it's not just Social Anxiety/Depression, just because of the various other problems I experience that fit in well with things like AS and ADHD.

• All I was told was that the psychiatrist appointment will take longer than the 3 month wait to see the same woman again. 

I feel I'm not quite sure why I'll be seeing the same woman in 3 months anyway, she said it was for a 'review' to see if I still feel the same. When I've felt like this and known something wasn't quite right for years, it's not going to suddenly change and I become a wonderous social butterfly. 

She also seemed very intent in trying to steer me away from even wanting a diagnosis for AS. Telling me it takes months of repeated appointments seeing the same person, and that they only have one person who can diagnose AS there which further prolongs the process. Also that people who get a diagnosis don't find it makes any difference or helps in any way. 

Now obviously I know having a diagnosis wouldn't suddenly 'fix' things as such, but it gives me an explanation as to why I am the way I am and why I doc ertain things. It'd also make life infinitely easier for me when it comes to the JobCentre and the work program. I feel they'd be able to better help me find work suited to myself, as it's not that I don't want to work, I obviously just find a lot of jobs awkward/difficult at times. 

I just feel lost knowing I'm going to be waiting 3 months+ to probably get exactly the same answer now, and be back at square one. I know it's obviously not 100% I do have AS, it's quite difficult to pinpoint mental health problems like that in adults. But I can also say with 100% certainty that it's not just Social Anxiety/Depression, just because of the various other problems I experience that fit in well with things like AS and ADHD.

Children
No Data