No support for mental health

Hello I am really struggling at the moment with no support for my mental health problems. It is so bad that there is not much mental health services out there in some parts of the UK like Birmingham for an example as there is a lot of people like me that are urgent and that really need the proper or right support for their mental health and other issues that they have. I really want to be able to tell an advocate about wanting my voice to be heard more by everyone and having the right to get support for my mental health for when I finally do get one after waiting nearly 5 months now for an advocate. Also I really hate it when not everyone seems to get the right support that they need and that is not fair at all as everyone has rights and everyone is entitled to get the right support that they need and that everyone deserves to be treated the same as everyone else and to be allowed to have freedom and to lives their own lives as much as they want. I really also hate it when no one understands me or others with mental health issues or disabilities or conditions at all and that is bad. I just don't know what to do anymore as no one is listening to what I am saying no matter what I say or do. I really hate some people out there that are still unpleasant and nasty and being so misunderstanding of others in what I am going through. Please I really want all of this negatives to end!!!!!!!!

Parents
  • I also live in Birmingham. My GP was very helpful when I asked for help, and referred me for an ASD assessment. I'd suggest putting something in writing about how your condition affects you and approaching them with it. The consultant psychiatrist who diagnosed me was very nice (surname starts with 'J' if you get referred to her). Asking for NHS help has been a pretty good experience so far, even if stressful at times.

I hope you get what you need and deserve.

• Thank you for helping a bit but I am a bit worried now about asking to get help because of me having a lot of bad experiences like no one seeming to listen to what I am saying and that is angering me even more but I just want to find a way for me to be listened to more and for everything to be a good experience for everyone and for everything to work for everyone like medication for an example as this is unfair and wrong.

• Perhaps I'm ignorant, but I don't think there is any medication that would work for ASD (perhaps it would for associated symptoms like anxiety). People will listen (well I'm the sort of person who will try at least), but you need to articulate the issue clearly. It's hard for me, as I tend to downplay just how difficult some things are and this means my needs aren't met as a result. It's often hard to just clearly say 'x is a problem for me', because I don't think people will understand or care.

If it's just a diagnosis you need, then Birmingham does at least have the services available. My experience with Birmingham Healthy Minds has been less than helpful, but I suppose it depends on exactly what you need.

• Perhaps I'm ignorant, but I don't think there is any medication that would work for ASD (perhaps it would for associated symptoms like anxiety). People will listen (well I'm the sort of person who will try at least), but you need to articulate the issue clearly. It's hard for me, as I tend to downplay just how difficult some things are and this means my needs aren't met as a result. It's often hard to just clearly say 'x is a problem for me', because I don't think people will understand or care.

If it's just a diagnosis you need, then Birmingham does at least have the services available. My experience with Birmingham Healthy Minds has been less than helpful, but I suppose it depends on exactly what you need.

Children
  • If you've spent the early part of your life being let down by people, then it's common to get disheartened by further setbacks. It makes you more vulnerable, as the people responsible for helping can ignore your needs, because you lack the ability to say "stop, you need to listen to what I'm saying and help me" after they reject you the first time. Your GP and the local CCG are directly responsible for helping you and there is a clear complaints process if either of them fail to do so.

If you're struggling, then I'd say put it in writing and present it to your GP.

Your profile also suggests you're 20, which was just a terrible age for me. I've found that life just gets better as time goes on, as your brain calms down and the machinations of neuroptypical society becomes less of a concern. If I was that age again, I'd just try to stop caring what other people thought about me and concentrate on making/saving money. :D

Philosophy also helped me more than mental health services ever did, like stoicism.

It all just gets easier with time, especially if you make good choices.

• No you are not being ignorant it was just me worrying that I will never get the right support for my mental health and that life will never get better for me that was all so don't worry there it's ok.