noisy babies/toddlers in public

I have often had to make the sacrifice to leave a public place early (e.g., a cafe or grocery store) because parents bring their babies, or sometimes young children, and they start screaming. And sometimes it can last for a while. And many people seem to think it's okay, since they are babies, and babies cry. But on the other hand, the parents can be more responsible and leave the public place. Some parents are more considerate and try to not stay in the same place forever when they have a screaming baby. While others seem perfectly fine to continue having their tea in the cafe or spend their time shopping while their children are being noisy. I find the screaming really hard to bear, and it's even physically painful sometimes and that I want to cry. I often leave if it continues for too long. But it seems unfair that it's me leaving instead of the baby making the noise in the middle of 20-30 people leaving. Any ideas on how to cope when a people bring noisy babies/toddlers? Or anyone else feel that it is unfair?

Parents
  • Sorry that sounded blunt hadn't finished post, little one fell over meant to finish after sorting him out. I understand that babies crying can be painful but they really can't control it and although as a parent you try everything they get over tired and don't fall asleep or calm themselves. I try to keep my baby's crying to minimum when out but if I have just paid for food a cafe will not refund me cos baby is crying. Also my other children are not likely to accept sorry you have no dinner but your brother was crying so had to leave. But I also understand how distressing it can be to some so do try to time things well. My comments with ear plugs was only a suggestion that if a child persisted and parent could or would not calm the child then popping in ear plugs would prevent you having to leave. Sorry if I caused any offence.

• I don't necessarily agree with you although I see where you're coming from and understand your arguments.

As soon as our baby started crying we'd leave. I don't like the sound, her dad doesn't and she wasn't an easy baby to keep quiet. Very temperamental.

I don't see why my baby should annoy others. We'd try our best to avoid it and sometimes you can't remove yourself - like on the bus.

You can time your visit right and if baby still starts crying, you down your coffee and leave.

And as for dinner? Or food? Too bad for us, but not possible. Maybe later on when she's bigger. Her time span is coffee and cake. Say max 30 minutes.

And if you need a break as parents? Go for a walk or a quick tea or coffee. Or let one parent go by themselves.

• And I guess I should be biologically programmed to be able to stand the sound of crying babies, but I am not. It also gets me really aggressive, which is terrible.

• @qwerty I have a real issue with noise and crying babies are eapecially bad unfortunately.

• Yeah it's normally paying that I get caught out to! But to be honest it's the older one struggles but she just hates waiting and has issues standing still but wouldn't change them for the world 

• Thanks for your reply, @Blank. Wow, it's so amazing that we think so similarly. I was going to reply something similar. 

• I'm not saying it is always easy either...

I've timed doing groceries and then getting stuck waiting to pay. And then ofcourse it took too long and you end up with a crying baby... Sometimes it's unavoidable.

Reply Children