Struggling today

I don't know what's the matter with me. At work today,  but just seeing this woman has got me shaking.  At least I'm off for 2 days after today.  Would have been mum's 90th birthday tomorrow.  That's part of it , I suppose . But I can't go on like this .

Parents
  • Thanks, folks.  Sorry for the late response.  I was just feeling in a bit of a pit yesterday when I wrote this.  We're short of staff this week, so I know they were doing their best to work with me given the other constraints at work.  The morning was okay - but I knew that, in the afternoon, I would need to be working on the same floor as this other person, and the likelihood was that our paths would cross at some point.  The anxiety this invoked was making me feel sick.  I almost asked if I could possibly swap to another client.  But then I thought I would just bite the bullet, go along with it, and hope for the best.

In the end, it wasn't too bad.  We were working around one another at one point, but there were other, more sympathetic staff members also present - and that took some of the heat.  In fact, there was a bit of indirect communication.  One of the other staff members was discussing an issue which we were all able to comment on, and the overall tone was humorous.  This woman also found a reason to be out of the building for an hour with her client, which also relieved the atmosphere.  I was glad when home time came, though.

I got an email last night to say that the college I got offered a job at a couple of months ago (I turned it down because it would have meant longer hours and days for the same money as I now get, but pro-rata because term-time only) is now advertising for a Learning Support Practioner (as before), but at a higher rate of pay because it's working with PMLD students.  I've worked with PMLD before, and quite enjoyed it.  I'm trained with hoists and slings, and have done PEG feeding.  I also drive, and use of adapted vehicles is required.  It will mean 5 days instead of 4, and they will be longer days by up to 2 hours because of starting and finishing times and location.  I'll probably only be £100 a month better off - but it is only for 38 weeks per year (there is little flexibility with getting other time off, but I guess I could live with that).   I'm weighing it up, and still have 12 days for the application.  Maybe I'll see how next week pans out.

Thanks again.  At least I'm off today.  I'm just waiting for a parcel delivery, then I'm off up to the place where we scattered mum's ashes to spend some time.

Oop.... there's the bell...

• I think you should do as @sunflower says. Apply and see what happens. I find they often put job descriptions and demands out there which later on in the process can be adjusted a little.

• I will.  I know it'll mean having to take a Maths GCSE, which I don't have - and is a pain, really.  But I'll apply and see what happens.

Reply Children
  • That just feels so unfair  Slight frown

• If they require GCSE Maths or equivalent, then be economical with the truth.  Of course you passed it.   But you've lost the certificate years ago.  I took my 'O' levels in 1978 and failed my English. 

Last time I applied to university (successfully)  in 2012, they insisted on seeing certificates of previous degrees and full academic transcripts.  with those I told the truth and gave them the evidence.  But 'O' levels and GCSEs. I just wrote the truth on the application that I had nine and nobody asked or checked the grades.

On my most recent job interviews /selection procedures,  they gave us Maths and English practical tests.

A forty minute English test involving spelling and comprehension. I passed with flying colours. 

Then, a thirty minute Maths test with 80 questions and no calculator.  Again passed with ease. 

Then an interview in front of a panel,  which I failed at miserably because of my autism and body language. 

• If you don't already have a suitable GCSE pass, you may be able to find somewhere where you can do foundation level at least for free at an evening class.  

• Oooh, I did that and IB Maths but it would be difficult doing that now Neutral face

But I'm sure you will manage if you have to.