Exercising with Autism- product

Hello everyone!

My name is Rhea and I'm a third year Product Design Engineering student. My brother has autism, which has inspired me to develop a home product to help individuals on the Autism Spectrum with exercising. Exercising has shown many benefits with ASD and I have several questions related to exercise that would really help my research, and I would welcome your opinion on several questions including the difficulties individuals with ASD face with physical activity. If you are diagnosed with ASD or know anyone with ASD who is 18 or over, I have a survey for that.

I hope to make a positive impact and help people with ASD, and your answers would mean a lot to me! Feel free to message if you would like the link to the survey or  have any questions. Thank you in advance.

Parents
  • I can't imagine how variation in exercise is any different for people with autism than anyone else. We are all different in shape, physical prowess, and preferences. It would be highly cynical to make such a claim to market such a product. It would be like saying "I'm making swimming trunks for the blind, because my brother is blind". Cognitive bias can make for a great marketing tool. You seem to have grasped that.

• Firstly, this isn't for marketing at all, as it is a university design project, my aim is to help others. Certain exercises I believe are more difficult with ASD, from the results i've gathered so far and with personal experience , I believe there things I could do to make life easier for those with ASD. I know one size doesn't fit all, but as long as it helps and works for some individuals, that would make me happy.

• Firstly, this isn't for marketing at all, as it is a university design project

Oh, what happened to.

My brother has autism, which has inspired me to develop a home product to help individuals on the Autism Spectrum with exercising.

Products are marketed. Products are also researched. Usually the marketing research process involves surveys.

I know one size doesn't fit all, but as long as it helps and works for some individuals, that would make me happy.

Money usually makes people happy, or am I to assume this is going to be free? Something as vague as "exercise", with I'd assume a pretty small survey group, will only provide a vague product result. Not being rude, but you might as well buy a load of heavy bags, exercise bikes, and kettle bells from Argos and print something like "Autisgym" on them. Gullible people will purchase them because the association with autism will play into their afforementioned cognitive bias. If you tell someone a product is "designed for them" they will buy into it. Autism is a pretty new revenue stream that has started to be exploited by snake oil salesmen, I'm not suggesting you are, you might be naive. Either naive or pretty cynical.

BTW if you use "Autisgym", I want my cut! I'll buy lots of Autisgym products "designed for me" then........Stuck out tongue winking eye

• No problem Blank! Yeah, it would have been easier for everyone.

• I am never confused, really :-) But I hadn't noticed the upvoting so thanks for pointing that out to me!

I agree clarification would have been better.

• Who is confused? Me?

You weren't but I think now you are. If you look I quoted you first, and then I quoted the other poster. Specifically saying to them "You seem confused". They have upvoted your comment, rather than taking the opportuntity to clarify this. Even if they didn't reply to me, they could have let you know, rather than just upvoting your comment that was obviously a misunderstanding. Not cool.

• Who is confused? Me?(because I am not, and I thought the survey was interesting for myself. Gave me food for thought and I like giving my opinion especially if someone else can put it to use.)

• It's maybe more aimed at what gyms can do to attract or keep autistic people. And they could do a lot!

For example, if they could do something about when to change equipment, the music, maybe calm hours etc.

Cleversweet said that it is only for her personal use in a university project, and not for commercial use. So it won't be used for such a thing by her own admission.

With this survey, I'm researching exercise habits at home and at the gym, there's a greater focus for at home equipment use, as many individuals don't enjoy the busy nature of the gym, but i am also contacting special needs schools for feedback of their equipment, and parents of children with autism. The reason why i've just said 'exercise' is because as part of primary research  i'm exploring all these aspects, and due to ethics i cannot ask very specific questions. From feedback I receive, I will be able to be more specific.

That's how market reseach usually works. Start with a broad line of questioning, then narrow the questions down until you get the product you intend to market. Seems strange to follow market research for a product that will have no use outside of your project. Useless to the Autistic Community, that's a pity.

You seem confused.

• With this survey, I'm researching exercise habits at home and at the gym, there's a greater focus for at home equipment use, as many individuals don't enjoy the busy nature of the gym, but i am also contacting special needs schools for feedback of their equipment, and parents of children with autism. The reason why i've just said 'exercise' is because as part of primary research  i'm exploring all these aspects, and due to ethics i cannot ask very specific questions. From feedback I receive, I will be able to be more specific.

• It's maybe more aimed at what gyms can do to attract or keep autistic people. And they could do a lot!

For example, if they could do something about when to change equipment, the music, maybe calm hours etc.

That could really work!

Reply Children
  • No problem Blank! Yeah, it would have been easier for everyone.

• I am never confused, really :-) But I hadn't noticed the upvoting so thanks for pointing that out to me!

I agree clarification would have been better.

• Who is confused? Me?

You weren't but I think now you are. If you look I quoted you first, and then I quoted the other poster. Specifically saying to them "You seem confused". They have upvoted your comment, rather than taking the opportuntity to clarify this. Even if they didn't reply to me, they could have let you know, rather than just upvoting your comment that was obviously a misunderstanding. Not cool.

• Who is confused? Me?(because I am not, and I thought the survey was interesting for myself. Gave me food for thought and I like giving my opinion especially if someone else can put it to use.)

Cleversweet said that it is only for her personal use in a university project, and not for commercial use. So it won't be used for such a thing by her own admission.

With this survey, I'm researching exercise habits at home and at the gym, there's a greater focus for at home equipment use, as many individuals don't enjoy the busy nature of the gym, but i am also contacting special needs schools for feedback of their equipment, and parents of children with autism. The reason why i've just said 'exercise' is because as part of primary research  i'm exploring all these aspects, and due to ethics i cannot ask very specific questions. From feedback I receive, I will be able to be more specific.

That's how market reseach usually works. Start with a broad line of questioning, then narrow the questions down until you get the product you intend to market. Seems strange to follow market research for a product that will have no use outside of your project. Useless to the Autistic Community, that's a pity.

You seem confused.