Planning meals /vegan

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend an app/book/method of planning healthy meals?

Food is an area I struggle with, the whole process of choosing meals, buying ingrediants and cooking.

I struggle with cook books as there is too much choice and they just don't work with my brain.

I think the change 4 life app is amazing as it does a random meal planner for you, you can change the meals it gives you if you don't like them and it adds the ingrediants to your shopping list.

Problem is, I have a lactose allergy and a lot of the meals contain milk or cheese.

Also, I want to go vegan to get a healthy diet. I want to eat more than just 5 a day.

But I cannot find any way of organising myself to be able to make and eat tasty vegan meals.

What apps/methods do you use for meal planning?

Parents
  • Hi Kelly 

i was vegan for 4 years then relapsed into vegetarianism and then became an omnivore again. Feel a bit ashamed and I am planning to go in the other direction again soon.

Do you have a freezer? If so making a big vegetable curry or stew and freezing portions can be a great way of eating a healthy varied diet. To be honest I just used to eat vegetable curry every day for a week (I'm not bothered about variety).

An electric slow cooker can be really useful too. Cheap to run and it helps the flavours of herbs and spices to infuse, making everything really tasty if you like that sort of thing.

Might be worth looking at Jack Monroe's recipes which are tasty, inexpensive and healthy. Some of them are vegan.

Like Tom says, make sure you get all the vitamins you need. I used to eat Grape Nuts - a breakfast cereal which is as hard as nails but which has added B12.

• Hi Kelly 

i was vegan for 4 years then relapsed into vegetarianism and then became an omnivore again. Feel a bit ashamed and I am planning to go in the other direction again soon.

Do you have a freezer? If so making a big vegetable curry or stew and freezing portions can be a great way of eating a healthy varied diet. To be honest I just used to eat vegetable curry every day for a week (I'm not bothered about variety).

An electric slow cooker can be really useful too. Cheap to run and it helps the flavours of herbs and spices to infuse, making everything really tasty if you like that sort of thing.

Might be worth looking at Jack Monroe's recipes which are tasty, inexpensive and healthy. Some of them are vegan.

Like Tom says, make sure you get all the vitamins you need. I used to eat Grape Nuts - a breakfast cereal which is as hard as nails but which has added B12.

Children
  • Thank you :) seems a lot of people just eat the same thing all the time. Maybe it's best I find a number of recipes and just cycle through them. Freezing them is a good idea too. My mum always suggests I cook stuff up and freeze it but I never know what to actually make. Curries and stews are a good idea, thank you.

I eat a lot of nuts (again in phases lol) I think they have B vitamins in them