Planning meals /vegan

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend an app/book/method of planning healthy meals?

Food is an area I struggle with, the whole process of choosing meals, buying ingrediants and cooking.

I struggle with cook books as there is too much choice and they just don't work with my brain.

I think the change 4 life app is amazing as it does a random meal planner for you, you can change the meals it gives you if you don't like them and it adds the ingrediants to your shopping list.

Problem is, I have a lactose allergy and a lot of the meals contain milk or cheese.

Also, I want to go vegan to get a healthy diet. I want to eat more than just 5 a day.

But I cannot find any way of organising myself to be able to make and eat tasty vegan meals.

What apps/methods do you use for meal planning?

Parents
  • Hi Kelly,

I was vegan for over 30 years.  Back-slipped a few years back and started to eat fish again.  I still avoid dairy and meat, though.

I don't really plan for meals or use recipe books.  Never have.  I tend to eat a lot of the same stuff.  One of my favourite meals throughout the summer (and I still eat it 4 or 5 times a week now) is a special salad.  I usually buy the bags of prepared salad from the supermarket.  One bag is chopped and mixed stuff - carrots, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, etc - and the other is loose-leafed stuff like rocket, spinach, cress, etc.  I mix roughly half of each in a bowl then cut them up very fine with salad shears.  Add to that a tin of sweetcorn and some cooked chick peas.  Add to that some cold boiled heads of broccoli and chopped cold boiled baby potatoes.  Sea salt or garlic salt for seasoning.  Olive oil and some mild dressing.  Filling, delicious, nutritious.  Boring for some, though!  I do like raw food.  If I'm doing a cooked meal, though, it's usually again the staples: carrots, broccoli, cabbage, kale, peas, beans, etc.

Today I had a pasta using chopped courgette, carrot, aubergine, tomatoes, onions and a tin of pilchards.  Cooked in about 15 minutes.  I also like stir-fry and will have one once a week, usually with lots of veggies and mushrooms.  I'm also a big fan of long-grain or short-grain brown rice.  A super-food!

If you're thinking of transitioning to veganism, it would be worth getting a good book about nutrition so that you can be sure that you're getting the right mix of complex carbs, vitamins and minerals in your diet - especially B12, which isn't naturally synthesised in the body.  It doesn't fit well with everyone.  I've never had a problem with it - it's a very healthy diet if done correctly - but I have a friend who struggled because she's anaemic. 

A decent wholefood shop should be able to provide you with information leaflets, books, etc.  It doesn't need to be too complex.  As I said, I've never followed recipes.  Just kept a sensible approach to it.  One book I did refer to a lot, though - it's got some excellent basic recipes and advice in it - is this...

Eva Batt's Vegan Cooking

Sorry... I don't really know of any apps, but I'm sure there are some.  Try Googling for vegan apps.

Tom

• Thank you very much for sharing what you eat :) it's helpful

Reply Children
No Data