Do non Autistics intuitively "know" how to act and communicate?

I read on this website that "Other people appear to know, intuitively, how to communicate and interact with each other, but Autistics do not", but believe this statement to be completely untrue in so many ways.

I do not believe that there is any one way to interact and communicate and nor do i believe anyone, even non autistic could possibly be thought of as someone that "knows" how to act and communicate in every given situation.

I believe making wrong statements like this just causes confusion.

Would do you think?

Do you think there are people out there that just intuitively "know" how to act and communicate? In that case, what happens when they come across someone that has more experience and is more intelligent than them?

Parents
  • Other people appear to know, intuitively - means that the observer sees the situation that way. It is not a statement about what other people actually are, but a statement about the observer’s belief. As such it cannot be proven to be untrue by anyone else. 

You believe there are many ways to communicate. So do I. I am intuitive and read non verbal cues that others might miss. But not with everyone. I also misread a lot of people. But that’s just me. We are all different. The part I dislike most in the statement is ‘but Autistics don’t.’ In my view we are all unique, so we do all have different ways of communicating etc. I do find many people in the world in general, though, just cannot think outside of their own box. It’s their way or no way. As a child, though, I just could not interact with other children. That is something that does develop naturally when kids go to school. For me, it just did not. I was clueless. And they were unable to interact my way. Maybe many of us have learned different ways of interacting and communicating that mainstream people cannot comprehend? I dunno. It’s all a bit nit picky for me. If it’s confusing, i would rather think of something else! 

• Are you sure you were not just extremely shy and inimidated?

Personally i do not think it is nice to label anyone Autistic and tell people that Autism is a life long condition.

I do not buy in to this luvvie duvvie lets try understand everyone before stabbing them in the back and patronising them with a name which is going to make it extremely hard to get anything other than benefits when they grow up.

"I do find many people in the world in general, though, just cannot think outside of their own box." Also, how do you know what others think? You claim to find people difficult to understand yet have no problem attributing thoughts to them.

Also i apologise if i am appearing insensitive, but i am not Autistic "never been diagnosed anyway", so is it any surprise that my powers of understanding is so great??

• I am happy to have receive ‘a label’ in my old age after a life of difficulty. If you really want to understand Autism, there are plenty of books out there you can read. If you want to beef... I’m out. 

Reply Children