Today's blog

Burnt my breakfast this morning because I was admiring the new look of this website.

Now,  of to the job search club at the local mental centre.  Taking 4 versions of my CV with me.

Parents
  • I attended a 3 hour stress workshop at my local Mind headquarters.   It covered the basics of what is stress, it's symptoms, causes etc.

And finally how to deal with stress and relaxation techniques.  Very little was new since I'm doing most of what they suggested.

One embarrassing moment.  They were teaching breathing exercises, keeping our eyes closed. And.... I dozed off and woke up in the middle of a nightmare.  My insomnia causes me to fall asleep in the afternoon everywhere, buses, trains, training courses.   

• A bit more about the workshop.  We had group activities filling in the 'stressbucket'

And advice on how to relax. Handouts of patterns to fill in with coloured pencils.

Reply Children
  • I agree to the social recluse thing. 

I actually like being a social recluse and have no intention to change it at present. Keeps things calm and quiet and it's a lot less stressful!

• (Me again, I wonder why there are no new Posts to this Thread, there may be two newer Threads, but I prefer that my long-ish Post did not scare people off...?)

...To Mr.Robert, I do not think that being a "Social Recluse" is "Sad", and I should think that plenty others agree with this (even if they are not Posting?)! Being Lonely and Depressed is certainly bad, and so I understand that, of course. Just keep on, as I said (even if no-one else is Posting again yet?), and do whatever maintains your own beliefs and integrity... (This is why I do not chat much, if that is all I can say just now, eh?)
    I am just an opposite, that is all, in that I never seem to be left alone, no matter what I do or where I go. But being alone is useful for Quietness, walks in the woods, Meditation, and so forth. But (I suppose) Company is useful such as being upon this Forum, being appreciated, and comparing experiences. I do honestly understand that. (I hope this Thread is not forgotten so fast, for example...?)

• The sad thing about me is that for long periods of time, I am a social recluse.  

If I didn't attend these centres I would be even more lonely and depressed than I am now.

• (The quote function is not working just now. But...)
    Mr.Robert123 said:
    "That's the kind of help and advice we get from some centres. To combat stress. Strategies were.

Breathing exercises.
    Meditation.
    Picture colouring.

Do you visit any mental health and advice centres? Do you take part in group activities? Or do you meet regularly with social workers/case workers?"

...Greetings again Sir. I respect this, totally, but it is certainly just myself and my own Quirks + Autism. To answer points one at a time, I may say of myself:
    ...I did used to (be forced to) attend "help" thingys, and they helped others and sometimes I tried to help them. They never helped me, and on some occasions, just like being back at school, others picked upon me. The kind of illnesses I have mean that I cannot 'keep to a schedule', and the methods suggested never addressed that.
    ...Breathing Exercises and Meditation: These are good, though I myself have no "safe or quiet" (or private) place to do them. I would try these, if I could, currently am, but it is not always working.
    ... Picture colouring: This is a unique thing to me (so far here), I would rather DRAW the pictures than colour them, and, um, believe it or not, can draw well past the standard of the picture you post, and so it would just stress me out. (I am honestly very sorry to say that in this context!!)
    ... 'Mental Health Centres, Groups, and Workers': No I do not...anymore...I could do all this, but when I used to speak to "Experts" like that, they were (and maybe still are) sort of "afraid" of me and my illnesses. Probably because their techniques do not help.

...This is your Thread, and I read this one, and I see some things which I recall as horrible experiences (Group stuff) but I see what is going on in the here-and-now. I apologise to all if this Post sounds awful or is misunderstood as awful... So I shall end upon saying... that of all that I totally agree about the taking of "Nature Walks"... Yes, Please! This would be great if I were allowed to do this! Instead of "Therapy" or "Drugs". Meditation and Breathing during that is a Three-Fold excellent thing to do. Honestly, Yes, please.

(Sorry this is a long reply, it could not be shorter, really. Stay well.)

• You are unsure what to say about the colouring in picture.  Well.... That's the kind of help and advice we get from some centres.  To combat stress.  Strategies were.

1. Breathing exercises.
    2. Meditation.
    3. Picture colouring.

Do you visit any mental health and advice centres?  Do you take part in group activities?  Or do you meet regularly with social workers/case workers?

Last Friday, my regional headquarters of Mind held an open day.   Activities included the sleep workshop ( I attended), meditation classes, buffet lunch, a raffle, a quiz, painting with cotton buds and other advice such as getting involved in gardening.

I actually got to speak briefly with the chief executive.  About how disappointed we were with the attendance.  There were around ten members of staff and about twenty of us clients.  She told me that they support hundreds of clients with mental health issues.

After lunch I took part in another activity.  A nature walk through a local park/wood/abbey.  With a handout to help us identify trees, with pictures of tree, leaf, berry/flower/nut.   Five of us went on this walk.  Me!!!! With four members of staff!!!!

• (...Um, Greetings, Sir... I have been voting up your posts here so far today, but I am not sure about voting up THAT lot (--- especially the colouring-in picture)... I also said nothing so far because I was uncertain of WHAT to say. All I can do is to keep offering "Good Fortune" for your good self... (*sniffle*) ... Keep on keeping Your Own Strength no matter what, basically...)