Itching

I read somewhere on here just a minute ago about itching but can't find the comment now that I'm logged in. I know Dr Temple Grandin has said that it's a problem for her. Is that an autistic thing? Is it my brain overreacting? It's been a problem for me since I was in my 30s. I've complained to landlords and moved out of rented flats numerous times because of the itching. Is there an official respect-inducing name for this problem which I can tell my doctor and be taken seriously?

Parents
  • I went off and thought about this a bit more Yttrium. I'm pretty much in control of my itching situation now but another thing I noticed was biological washing powder is a pretty bad thing for skin irritation. A change of soap (I don't know what you're using now) might help. Use something unperfumed and non-coloured. I use Simple but Pears is another brand that I can use. Deodorants and other smellies can be irritants. Just try and think of things that your skin comes into contact with and it's just trial and error. I hope you find what's best! I'd rather be in pain than itch, it's that bad! All the best.

• I went off and thought about this a bit more Yttrium. I'm pretty much in control of my itching situation now but another thing I noticed was biological washing powder is a pretty bad thing for skin irritation. A change of soap (I don't know what you're using now) might help. Use something unperfumed and non-coloured. I use Simple but Pears is another brand that I can use. Deodorants and other smellies can be irritants. Just try and think of things that your skin comes into contact with and it's just trial and error. I hope you find what's best! I'd rather be in pain than itch, it's that bad! All the best.

Children
  • Laundry products had been a problem for me, too, until I went vegan and started using Bip-D. I've still not found a fabric conditioner I can cope with but the Bio-D laundry liquid really helps. For soap I use cheap and cheerful Co-op's pure soap. It's the only one that doesn't hurt delicate areas (ahem) within seconds. Pitrok deodorant (thankfully they do do a spray) I find the best. I still itch, but usually only when I'm going to sleep. I think my body hates me!

• Further to washing powders. We found that Bold was very bad for our allergy probe family. Avoid it.

We have odd looking little ball things with rocks in them now they are brilliant everything gets clean and no chemicals.