About the "How are you?" question

What do you think about the "How are you?" question?

I, personally, do not like this question and I have never liked it.

I do not know what to answer.

Also, a lot of the time, I think it is expected just to give a positive answer, but I often feel awful to say "Fine!" simply to be polite if I am not fine. 

Parents
  • It is a question asked to which no one who asks it wants to know the answer.

i usually say something like "I'll do", much to the consternation of neurotypicals. A work colleague many years ago used to give a shopping list of her ailments every time she was asked. 

A book of etiquette I read once  said that the answer to it is to reply the same. So "How do you do" should be answered with "How do you do?" which makes no sense at all and is merely exchanging breath. 

Different cultures have different ways of greeting besides verbal. Westerners shake hands, give a 'high five' or a Glasgow kiss depending whether they like the person or not. Other cultures may bow, rub noses or stick their tongues out. My preference is just a simple nod and a "Hello". No insincerity in making someone else think I am in the least interested in their health.

Because in most cases I am not!

• Having been born and brought up in Glasgow, many moons ago, I can say with some authority that a Glasgow kiss isn't considered a 'Greeting' even in Glasgow!! I think the only time I ever saw it deployed as one was by Begbie in 'Trainspotting' (the original one, haven't seen the new one so I've no idea if his manners improved in the interim). 

• I have actually dropped the nut on someone as a greeting. They ran my dog over accidently but when my mom went over they gave her a mouthful of abuse, she didn't even say anything abusive to him. She said it was an accident but he called her a *** because his front spoiler was cracked. Luckily someone saw him do it and told me. Another woman who he told to *** off when she told him to stop swearing at old women. The next time he saw me he said "Sound mate" I said "Nah" then broke his nose. Funny how people will be friendly to men but not to little old ladies who are crying. I also ripped the spoiler off his car.

BTW Begbie is still the same pretty much but the other characters aren't much better than him now.

• I'd imagine the Queen has tasted boiled head. I've just got a feeling about it. A boiled head terrine with fois gras and a vintage ox blood jus. Prince Phillip is a radgepot so it's even more likely with him!

Weegie slang moderator. Maybe you have a job! I'd be lost with gaelic, totally!

• Head boil, but yeah. ("Go away and boil your head you fool" - as the Queen probably doesn't say in her English.) Maybe one of us will get a job out of this, as Weegie-slang Moderators! My shocking Gaelic might come in useful too! It's a wonder they haven't thought of slang in their efforts to keep the chats PG. 

• Weegie slang eh! Seems like the head bile thing got through! Hope we dont get kleiped on!

• It's useful to have discovered that NAS don't appear to delete 'inappropriate language' in Glaswegian!! Might come in useful, I'll have to brush up on this latent skill! I wonder if it applies to all slang? "Awainbileyerheid ya bam!" LOL this could be fun!  

• It's useful to have discovered that NAS don't appear to delete 'inappropriate language' in Glaswegian!! Might come in useful, I'll have to brush up on this latent skill! I wonder if it applies to all slang? "Awainbileyerheid ya bam!" LOL this could be fun!  

Children