About the "How are you?" question

What do you think about the "How are you?" question?

I, personally, do not like this question and I have never liked it.

I do not know what to answer.

Also, a lot of the time, I think it is expected just to give a positive answer, but I often feel awful to say "Fine!" simply to be polite if I am not fine. 

Parents
  • Yes, I like the question and like Cloudy Mountain, I find it useful as it gives clues as to how to be with the other person. It's used in different ways in different countries where I've lived. In some countries people take more time when they meet you, to stop and say hello and find out how you are etc and in others, it's used more as a simple yet pleasant way to acknowledge the other person. I generally answer honestly although I've learned over the years, particularly in the UK, that's it's often just a polite way of acknowledging the other person rather than it being an actual question so in some situations, I'll use it as such but it's mostly used by people I know who genuinely want to know how I am and visa versa. I think the other way was in more of a work situation where I found in the uk that people don't tend to stand around chatting as much when they're at work, than they do in other places that I've worked. If I haven't got time, for whatever reason, to hear about how someone is then I don't ask, I would just say something like hi, but when I do have the time, which is most of the time, then I will ask how they are. If I'm not doing too well and don't want to talk about it I would just say so but I tend to isolate if I'm not feeling too good or don't want to interact with other people or if I do go out, I will do my best to avoid people. So yeah, I like the question, I ask it and I like to be asked and when asked, I answer honestly ~ I like to keep it simple :)

• Yes, I like the question and like Cloudy Mountain, I find it useful as it gives clues as to how to be with the other person. It's used in different ways in different countries where I've lived. In some countries people take more time when they meet you, to stop and say hello and find out how you are etc and in others, it's used more as a simple yet pleasant way to acknowledge the other person. I generally answer honestly although I've learned over the years, particularly in the UK, that's it's often just a polite way of acknowledging the other person rather than it being an actual question so in some situations, I'll use it as such but it's mostly used by people I know who genuinely want to know how I am and visa versa. I think the other way was in more of a work situation where I found in the uk that people don't tend to stand around chatting as much when they're at work, than they do in other places that I've worked. If I haven't got time, for whatever reason, to hear about how someone is then I don't ask, I would just say something like hi, but when I do have the time, which is most of the time, then I will ask how they are. If I'm not doing too well and don't want to talk about it I would just say so but I tend to isolate if I'm not feeling too good or don't want to interact with other people or if I do go out, I will do my best to avoid people. So yeah, I like the question, I ask it and I like to be asked and when asked, I answer honestly ~ I like to keep it simple :)

Children
No Data