What is your personality type?

Handi-andis raised this on another thread and I thought it might be interesting to see if we all have radically different personality types, or very similar ones.

You can take the test at 16personalities.com, it's a free online test and will tell you at the end what your personality type is, and give you some descriptions of how people similar to you think and behave. You don't have to pay for the Premium version.

I did the test before I discovered I had autism, and when I did some training on autism discovered that my personality type and the description of how autism affects people to be very similar. My wife also found it really useful (for herself and for me). I find my personality type is very descriptive of me.

As well as finding out what you're good at, you find out what types of thing you struggle with, so that you can understand yourself better. It helped me see what my brain was good at processing, and what my brain isn't good at processing, so I can make sure I excel with my strengths and then get other people to do the things I struggle with Smiley

Post your type here if you'd like to take part.

I got INTJ - The Architect. I'd be interested in finding out yours!

Parents
  • I wonder if I would get different results at different times because some of the questions were quite annoying and depending on how I thought about it I could have answered at both extremes.

• Spotty Tortoise said:

I wonder if I would get different results at different times because some of the questions were quite annoying and depending on how I thought about it I could have answered at both extremes.

I get into similar difficulties with personality-type-questionnaires, with the both extremes thing, as it really does depend upon the situation and how adaptable I am, or not due to exhaustion.

One of the difficulties also is that there are 22 sub-personalities (characteristics) involved with our personality (or individual self), so accounting for 22 with 16 can be problematic (in the sense of having so many cars but not enough parking spaces) perhaps as you are finding maybe. 

Although I did not do this particular test myself, as I find doing tests or filling in forms frustratingly difficult, I am though more of a diplomat/negotiator/advocate type.    

• Spotty Tortoise said:

I wonder if I would get different results at different times because some of the questions were quite annoying and depending on how I thought about it I could have answered at both extremes.

I get into similar difficulties with personality-type-questionnaires, with the both extremes thing, as it really does depend upon the situation and how adaptable I am, or not due to exhaustion.

One of the difficulties also is that there are 22 sub-personalities (characteristics) involved with our personality (or individual self), so accounting for 22 with 16 can be problematic (in the sense of having so many cars but not enough parking spaces) perhaps as you are finding maybe. 

Although I did not do this particular test myself, as I find doing tests or filling in forms frustratingly difficult, I am though more of a diplomat/negotiator/advocate type.    

Children
  • I tended to steer away from the extremes in this test - unless it was a question along the lines of preferring to do things alone rather than with others, in which case the answer would always be a firm 'agree'.  Most of my answers were in the mid-range or one point - sometimes two - either side.

• Misfit61 said:

Yes I have that problem with questionnaires too. I had difficulties with Some of the assessment ones for that reason. 

When I did the A.Q. '50' Test, the first question ~ I prefer to do things with others rather than on my own ~ kind of threw me whereas if it said 'other people' I could have easily marked that I prefer to be on own more often than not. There were about five questions that needed to be contextualised.  

• Spotty Tortoise said:

I like your car parking analogy, it would make a lot of sense.  One of the questions was something like 'in a debate is it more important to you to get at the truth or make sure no one is offended', kind of both and neither to me!

I find that when people use the term debate they do not mean a discussion for mutual consensus, but more instead an argument for 'or else' against something, or more often actually just a plain dispute.

If people actually had debates to refine propositions together ~ there is the rule of 'No Dis(respect)' first and foremost anyway, so offence should not be the case as such. 

• Yes I have that problem with questionnaires too. I had difficulties with Some of the assessment ones for that reason. 

• That's exactly it Deepthought, it all depends on context and here there is none.  It's all very interesting though, I've never really looked into personality consciously think I just had my head down trying to survive but now that's not working so it's good to have avenues to explore.

I like your car parking analogy, it would make a lot of sense.  One of the questions was something like 'in a debate is it more important to you to get at the truth or make sure no one is offended', kind of both and neither to me!