Back pain

Hi

i have some form of instability in my back that the doctors can't get to the bottom of, but the net result is back pain that painkillers don't deal with and it disturbs my sleep every single night. Having just read a couple of other posts and wondering for a while now about the possibility of some form of co-morbidity between autism and back issues, I thought I would just do a quick straw poll to find out how wide spread the issue is.

Thanks 

Andrew

Parents
  • Yes me too. When I was diagnosed with dyspraxia I was told it's common with dcd to not have strong muscle control, so my core is weak and therefore not supporting my spine, with the knock on effect of not supporting my upper body, shoulders, neck head etc. So not only do I have the issues to do with spine, stenosis, bulging , numbness etc I also have painful shoulders and get headaches. So I looked up these issues with Aspergers/autism recently and again there does seem to be a correlation. However I am far from dextrous or ambidextrous , more the reverse , inflexible, rigid etc I remember trying to do somersaults as a child.. I just couldn't bend enough. I have had injections which didn't last very long. Various pain medication where the morphene based ones just keep me awake all night or codeine which seriously blocks my guts so pain relief is tricky. I have taken it to be more lack of muscle control but why that should be .. no idea. I find it very interesting that you have asked this but I don't know what the answer is. 

• Yes me too. When I was diagnosed with dyspraxia I was told it's common with dcd to not have strong muscle control, so my core is weak and therefore not supporting my spine, with the knock on effect of not supporting my upper body, shoulders, neck head etc. So not only do I have the issues to do with spine, stenosis, bulging , numbness etc I also have painful shoulders and get headaches. So I looked up these issues with Aspergers/autism recently and again there does seem to be a correlation. However I am far from dextrous or ambidextrous , more the reverse , inflexible, rigid etc I remember trying to do somersaults as a child.. I just couldn't bend enough. I have had injections which didn't last very long. Various pain medication where the morphene based ones just keep me awake all night or codeine which seriously blocks my guts so pain relief is tricky. I have taken it to be more lack of muscle control but why that should be .. no idea. I find it very interesting that you have asked this but I don't know what the answer is. 

Children
  • I'm very interested that the painkillers have little effect, as that's what I have also found. I also, slightly ironically, didn't realise the shear volume of pain I was in until I went on painkillers and then I found out.

My most recent "pain event" saw me on IV steroids, diclofenac and anaesthetic being used as a muscle relaxant on top of my regular medications and it still didn't fully kill off the pain