Managing Shutdowns

Shutdowns are part of life. There are multiple root causes for a shutdown, including the result of sensory overload, physical and mental exhaustion, unexpected news, anxiety about an upcoming event, and upheaval in our schedule. Sometimes it comes in combination; other times it comes down to simply being “on” for so long, that we have no choice but to turn “off.”

Are you always aware that you are about to go into "shutdown"?

What strategies to you use to help recover from them?

How do you "resurface"

How do you describe what they are to others and try to manage their occurrence? 

Parents
  • I always liken a shutdown to someone with a garden that has got out of control.  There comes a point where it gets more out of control no matter how much effort was put in, there are just not enough hours in the day to get it back in order.  So what then happens is that nothing is done.  The only real answer is to start everything again, clear every thing and go back to square one.

This to me is my shutdown.  So many demands put on me, when I know I should finish a job off but then am told to do something else.  So evenutally, the work has built up ... and no matter what it gets worse.  So evenutally, I get to the point I do nothing.  Shutdown and not only in the set task but in other parts of my life as well, even things I get enjoyment from.  And to get it back into order is very difficult, not an easy process.  Too many demands, and not feeling in control causes overload.  Overload means anxiety.  Anxiety causes meltdown and shutdown, not necessarily in that order.  So for want of ever more being required means that the result in the end is nothing is done.

Managers at work tend to think this is something I am doing on purpose.  Yet it is a problem that is caused by their ever increasing demands over things that I am not allowed my control over.  Managers seem incapable of listening, usually they think there i some sort of training that can make everything better.  They seem to think that counselling is the answer to anxiety, rather than removing the cause of the anxiety.  Problems are created in the modern way of living by having too many conflicting demands, too many officials, not enough understanding and too much contol by others.

I have said before on the forums here that problems for autistic people are often caused by the demands of society.  I can certainly work in my own way far more efficiently.  Being Autistic I work by the 'division of labout' method, it is far more efficient.  And unfortunately many managers, especially in the service industry do not understand this.

• Since we are in poetic mood here, thought I'd share this one, a song written by Brian Bedford of acapella trio 'Artisan', and covered by numerous folk style groups.  I find this very true and I always think of this song when confonted by someone who wants to control me.

What's the Use of Wings?
    (Brian Bedford)

"I could have been a giant" said the bonsai tree
     "But someone bound my roots and held me down."
     "I could have reached the Heavens" said the snowy owl
     "But they clipped my wings and kept me on the ground."

"I think I heard them tell me that they loved me
     That they'd care for me--without them I would die
     But what's the use of roots if you can't spread them?
     What's the use of wings if you can't fly?"

"I could have been a singer" said the Myna bird
     "But they caged me and told me what to say."
     "I could have run forever" said the pony
     "But they bridled me and made me go their way."

That they'd care for me forever so it seems
     What's the use of voices without freedom?
     What's the use of living other's dreams?"

Why do people cage the things they love the most?
     Is it simply that they fear to be alone?
     If you give you're love it's freedom, it will stay awhile
     If it leaves you, it was never yours to own

"I could have found adventure" said the angelfish
     "Now my world's so small there's nowhere left to go."
     "I could have ruled a kingdom" said the lion
     "Now this land inside my head is all I know."

That they'd care for me, and tell me it's alright
     But what's the use of life without adventure?
     What's the use of strength if you can't fight?"

Why do people cage the things they love the most?
     Is it simply that they fear to be alone?
     If you give you're love it's freedom, it will stay awhile
     If it leaves you, it was never yours to own

"I know I heard them tell me that they loved me
     That they'd care for me, without them I would die
     But what's the use of roots if you can't spread them?
     What's the use of wings if you can't fly?"
  • Love it...particularly the last two lines...

but trainspotter...what do we do!

Reply Children
No Data