What keeps you fighting?

What keeps you going? Limited friends and the day to day can be tiring..,.,,

What keeps you going, what makes you smile and gives you hope?, what makes you laugh and gives you the motivation to get out of bed in the morning?

Another silly thread of mine, but I've had a tough day...looking for inspiration guys....dig deep people..

Parents
  • Days like this, I know what keeps me fighting.  The same thing that almost makes me give up.  Global injustice.  Racist killings in Charlottesville.  The provocation and seeming legitimisation of racism and homophobia by mainstream politicians and the gutter press.  A crazy man who is, nominally, the most powerful man on earth.  Sick, disabled and unemployed people in this country being treated like they're the ones responsible for all society's woes - not the people at the top who got us into the mess in the first place with their reckless gambling.

And now we have the big nuclear d**k-swinging contest between Trump and Kim Jong-un.

I saw a trailer last night for the new film 'The Sense of an Ending'.  At the end of the trailer were the words 'Coming Soon'.

How prophetic, I thought.

As Hegel said: The only thing we learn from history is that we never learn from history.

• I know I am choosing to not educate myself by watching and listening to the news. These days I have a news app which I scan to get the highlights and I can follow in more detail if I wish. I couldn't actually cope with all the distressing things happening like the ones you have mentioned. So it's a choice I have made for my own health and it has helped. I do look at the serious articles but the ones which help the most are ones about octogenarians still doing sport, or amazing meteor showers or something that will lift my day. Sun shining so going to appreciate it! 

• Hi just got back from the weekly shop,really fed up with ignorant people who don't give a fig,,they walk straight through you,barge past,drive on the middle part of the road as it is really hard to stay in lane the correct distance from the curb, deep breath and relax! Is it me getting old and more miserable or are people just getting worse? No one much has any decency to be polite or think about what they are doing and it's effect on others.

Right more upbeat,just bought a tin shed from home base half price as the cardboard wrapping was soggy.unpacked it and all is well,no dents or damage,all the bits present.result,No doubt me being me I will improve the poor quality fixings and strengthen it as it is put together, don't get me started on quality and cost,

Dear tom I don't tend to watch the news these days like missy61 as it is all such an overwhelming mess, I do get so annoyed at the injustice everywhere and at 54 have decided I cannot change the world, it gets in my head and takes my energy away,I get stressed,and ultimately all around me suffer when they don't deserve my rants.

However I still support some things by voting in petitions. 

Also went to a car boot sale and bought an old copper pot! Another part to my garden ornament, I am attempting to build a big copper structure of some sort, I am also still looking for cheap multiples of stainless-steel to build a Kenetic sculpture,a fancy name for a wind powered sculpture. Always been fascinated by wind turbines and things that spin.

so that's today almost done,this morning nearly ended with a meltdown,went to have a shave,tap water lukewarm! Shower kept going to hot! Each pair of trousers I tried on were to tight or to loose in the waist! I hate belts as they dig In!settled for tight leg ones!every pair of socks I put on felt wrong,big stitch across the toes,strangling my ankles,too thin too thick,even the flipping label on the flannel annoyed-me!I hate labels as they dig into my skin or you can feel them clashing with other clothing,

Good to see everyone happy and I'm ok just a typical day coping with niggles, I would mark my trousers so I know which are which,but that wouldn't be normal,,,,

• Your post made me laugh.. probably wasn't supposed to but I could just imagine it so well. The excursion and the clothing. Yes I do think "my space" rage is getting worse. But maybe we are less tolerant or less able to be tolerant which is slightly different. And yes the situation in Charlottesville is awful( I thought I better read about it). It's so sad that historically race caused such division and cruelty the battles were won the law changed but still people want supremacy and it still happens to humanities shame. Yes I hate labels too especially collar/neck ones.  And I don't like belts either and I like my socks and trousers just right. Fussy b's aren't we! I get clothes rage too trying on this and that, sleeves too tight, something too scratchy, leaving a heap of tried on things.. not all the time just occasionally. 

Your shed building and tin sculpture sound great. I like sculpture too. There are good sculptures at The Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Newby Hall and Yhe Himalayan gardens near Ripon. And we went to the Hepworth in st Ives which I liked a lot but also the new one in Wakefield ( think it was there any way)We also saw a nice one in woods in France but can't quite remember where. We saw the Dale Chihuly glass sculpture in Kew Gardens and Vancouver. It's amazing what he can do with glass. So many talented people! 

• Your post made me laugh.. probably wasn't supposed to but I could just imagine it so well. The excursion and the clothing. Yes I do think "my space" rage is getting worse. But maybe we are less tolerant or less able to be tolerant which is slightly different. And yes the situation in Charlottesville is awful( I thought I better read about it). It's so sad that historically race caused such division and cruelty the battles were won the law changed but still people want supremacy and it still happens to humanities shame. Yes I hate labels too especially collar/neck ones.  And I don't like belts either and I like my socks and trousers just right. Fussy b's aren't we! I get clothes rage too trying on this and that, sleeves too tight, something too scratchy, leaving a heap of tried on things.. not all the time just occasionally. 

Your shed building and tin sculpture sound great. I like sculpture too. There are good sculptures at The Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Newby Hall and Yhe Himalayan gardens near Ripon. And we went to the Hepworth in st Ives which I liked a lot but also the new one in Wakefield ( think it was there any way)We also saw a nice one in woods in France but can't quite remember where. We saw the Dale Chihuly glass sculpture in Kew Gardens and Vancouver. It's amazing what he can do with glass. So many talented people! 

Children
No Data