Any ideas for finding a quiet home

Post deleted

Parents
  • Hi Pixiefox,

I truly feel for you.  I know what you're going through.  Noise is a big issue for me, too - and when income limits you on choice of where to live, it's very much pot luck.  For five years, following my divorce, I lived in a studio flat in a block where the landlord stipulated 'no disturbance to others'.  So I got used to wearing headphones to watch TV, as everyone else did.  Very civilised. I've continued with that wherever I've lived.  Unfortunately, other people are not so considerate.  They all think we want a share of their noise.

I lived in a seafront flat for a while.  I was on ESA at the time, so was very limited.  It was 18 months of pure hell.  Boy racers screeching and beeping in the car park opposite until the early hours.  A pizza take-away downstairs, open until 3 am, with car doors slamming outside until then, and staff talking loudly in the street on smoke breaks.  Plus, their oven vent chimney, which ran up past my bedroom window, providing a constant background hum.  Downstairs neighbours who had noisy balcony parties each summer weekend - using a DJ's sound system for the music!  A 'live music' pub next door.  I tried lots of things.  Complaints to the noise-makers and the Council.  High-quality ear plugs.  I even constructed some wooden boxes, stuffed with sound insulation, to fit into the windows at night.  Nothing worked. At the end of that time, I was so traumatized that when I eventually did get another flat in a 'quiet' road, I moved again within a month because I could hear the couple downstairs simply having a conversation at low level.

I'm reasonably lucky with where I am now.  But even so, following those experiences, it took me weeks to settle down and even accept normal ambient sounds - passing traffic, the guy downstairs on his phone, etc.  It's about the best I could expect in my station of life.  Having said that, I know far better-off home-owners who have problems with anti-social neighbours.  There's a forum I belonged to during the worst of it, and the fellow sufferers on there gave me some good advice - especially about dealing with landlords and the Council.  It might be worth a look - for comfort in numbers if nothing else. 

https://www.noisyneighbours.net/forum/

I'm sorry I can't suggest anything else.  But I know how hellish it can be.

I hope something gets sorted for you soon, one way or another.

Tom

• Hi Pixiefox,

I truly feel for you.  I know what you're going through.  Noise is a big issue for me, too - and when income limits you on choice of where to live, it's very much pot luck.  For five years, following my divorce, I lived in a studio flat in a block where the landlord stipulated 'no disturbance to others'.  So I got used to wearing headphones to watch TV, as everyone else did.  Very civilised. I've continued with that wherever I've lived.  Unfortunately, other people are not so considerate.  They all think we want a share of their noise.

I lived in a seafront flat for a while.  I was on ESA at the time, so was very limited.  It was 18 months of pure hell.  Boy racers screeching and beeping in the car park opposite until the early hours.  A pizza take-away downstairs, open until 3 am, with car doors slamming outside until then, and staff talking loudly in the street on smoke breaks.  Plus, their oven vent chimney, which ran up past my bedroom window, providing a constant background hum.  Downstairs neighbours who had noisy balcony parties each summer weekend - using a DJ's sound system for the music!  A 'live music' pub next door.  I tried lots of things.  Complaints to the noise-makers and the Council.  High-quality ear plugs.  I even constructed some wooden boxes, stuffed with sound insulation, to fit into the windows at night.  Nothing worked. At the end of that time, I was so traumatized that when I eventually did get another flat in a 'quiet' road, I moved again within a month because I could hear the couple downstairs simply having a conversation at low level.

I'm reasonably lucky with where I am now.  But even so, following those experiences, it took me weeks to settle down and even accept normal ambient sounds - passing traffic, the guy downstairs on his phone, etc.  It's about the best I could expect in my station of life.  Having said that, I know far better-off home-owners who have problems with anti-social neighbours.  There's a forum I belonged to during the worst of it, and the fellow sufferers on there gave me some good advice - especially about dealing with landlords and the Council.  It might be worth a look - for comfort in numbers if nothing else. 

https://www.noisyneighbours.net/forum/

I'm sorry I can't suggest anything else.  But I know how hellish it can be.

I hope something gets sorted for you soon, one way or another.

Tom

Children
No Data