How to cope in a noisy environment

Could anyone please offer me some advice on how to cope in a noisy environment. Just been out for a meal with friends., I don't go very often because I have difficulties in following  Conversation. Also when I come home my head feel like it is going to explode and have a bad meltdown. 

• I have this problem too. Sometimes I will just leave and get some fresh air in the middle and just say that I was finding it too noisy. I find that this problem comes and goes, one day it will be really bad and another day I won't have so much of a problem. 

I used noise cancelling earbuds at work for a while but that doesn't really help in a social situation. I agree with @quirkyfriend about saying that you have a hearing problem.

• Friendly nudge! Aspergers rather than Asbergers.

• I do find that my bluetooth earbuds help while out and about. That way I have music loud enough to cover most things. That doesn't help when trying to let conversation through. Oddly enough I can still hear voices and communicate, albeit I have to concentrate.

• Spontaneous events. Good point. For some of us, giving us time to mentally prepare can help. Sudden changes of plan bring their own anxiety amplification into the mix.

• Hey, I've found a useful lie if you don't want to disclose diagnosis is to say you have hearing loss on some frequencies. I played the tuba so the lie is quite feasible.

My partner now looks for wall seats away from speakers when we are out and I use swimmer's silicone ear plugs in places like stadiums and open air events.

I also know I have to get well rested before I go out. Spontaneous events are always hazardous. 

• Assuming you are not just asking about situations like going out for a meal, I recommend a pair of noise-cancelling headphones. I recently bought a pair of Bose QC35s and they work really well. Visit the What hi-Fi website for reviews of such headphones at various price points.

Longer term, I am hoping that devices like the Muzo will be released and live up to their billing.

• This is new to me too. Look at my profile here. I have Asbergers. I'm 44. A couple of weeks ago my world was totally different. Music is only one distraction. Modern life is full of beeps and bleeps too. Earplugs are at least discreet.

• Thanks for your reply. No my friends don't know.. I don't think they will understand plus I'm only just coming to terms with Autism myself. ( I have difficulties with interaction all my life but only found out a few weeks ago why). I try to meet up later on in the night so it is a bit quicker but still find it hard. Earplugs sound brilliant  think I will try them for when I go shopping etc  because where every you go they all have music blasting in the shops. 

• Are your friends aware of this? That awareness could easily drive them to choose a quieter venue, and perhaps a quieter part of the venue, like at the edge. I got ear protectors for work. I work in a call centre, so yes, I'll look odd with great big Princess Leia ears, but it'll drown out the ambient noise, letting me concentrate. That's likely not practical for this case however you can get earplugs designed to dull background, but make voices clear. earmufs.com/.../