Violence linked to Aspergers?

What are people's views on violence being linked to Aspergers?
I found this story on the provided link:-

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0886260508322195

Parents
  • MrAsperger said:

Hi MrAsperger, and welcome!

I can't speak for anyone else... but to be honest, I've had more than enough violence and abuse meted out against me over my lifetime for me ever to wish to mete it out against anyone else, or see it meted out against anyone else in my behalf. I abhor it in all forms.  If anything, my life has made me much more ready to identify and empathise with the vulnerable, the bullied and the oppressed.

I once said to a therapist I was seeing (the one who finally identified what she suspected was ASC, which eventually led to my diagnosis) that, given the abuse I've suffered, my life could easily have turned me into a vengeful psychopath.  But nothing could be further from the truth.  I have learned that bullies, generally, are insecure people themselves.  I am unfortunate enough to have a narcissist in my family, who has made things very difficult for me and for other family members over the years.  My response, finally - now - is to walk away.  I accept that people like that are toxic to me.  I could do this person untold damage if I so wished.  But I understand that they are themselves damaged - they simply don't realise it.  And probably never will.

I'm not sure if this answers your query - but maybe it gives some insight from one particular personal perspective.

Best regards,

Tom

• MrAsperger said:

Hi MrAsperger, and welcome!

I can't speak for anyone else... but to be honest, I've had more than enough violence and abuse meted out against me over my lifetime for me ever to wish to mete it out against anyone else, or see it meted out against anyone else in my behalf. I abhor it in all forms.  If anything, my life has made me much more ready to identify and empathise with the vulnerable, the bullied and the oppressed.

I once said to a therapist I was seeing (the one who finally identified what she suspected was ASC, which eventually led to my diagnosis) that, given the abuse I've suffered, my life could easily have turned me into a vengeful psychopath.  But nothing could be further from the truth.  I have learned that bullies, generally, are insecure people themselves.  I am unfortunate enough to have a narcissist in my family, who has made things very difficult for me and for other family members over the years.  My response, finally - now - is to walk away.  I accept that people like that are toxic to me.  I could do this person untold damage if I so wished.  But I understand that they are themselves damaged - they simply don't realise it.  And probably never will.

I'm not sure if this answers your query - but maybe it gives some insight from one particular personal perspective.

Best regards,

Tom

Children
No Data