Adult regression

Has anyone experienced a spouse having severe ASD regression?

Parents
  • Autistic people who regress or withdraw or any other form of diminishing are likely to suffering from internal difficulties and stresses, or external ones, but probably both - perhaps also mental health problems or other medical conditions that they can't convey or maybe not aware of.

Each autistic person will be fairly unique of course, and some more able to convey whats happening than others, some won't be able to convey anything.

What can happen is partners get frustrated (or worse) with a partner that is more distant, or less caring, or whatever they aren't giving or doing that they used to - and the the autistic partner is blamed or picks up the emotions which stresses and further diminish the autistic person more.  Not always the case but important to note it happens.

Minimising stresses around autistic people is always important, it may help reduce internal stresses.

• Well my ex partner does not even believe a single word I say and thinks I have learning disabilities or npd yes my behaviour has been bad I’ve done certain things but didn’t think of wot and how I’d make the other person feel I thought I was mentally ill and a quick adhd follow up and being truthful led to my diagnosis but I’ve lost everything now I have 2 kids also on the spectrum but my ex is so hard to get along with just horrible situation just makes everything worse because I just hide everything that makes me feel uncomfortable and pretend it’s not happening not healthy really need to find an expert for help to try and get my skills back my black and white thinking and speaking is the worst and my facial expressions don’t line up I look like I’ve got a problem wen I haven’t but looks so real to other people need it fixed I was never like this it’s the last say 16 months or so 

• Don't get dragged down by people who dismiss what you know is true, you can't make them accept it.

Gaslighting is an example of this, making people feel they have got something wrong when deep down they know they were right, it causes confusion and doubt that opens you up to more, or worse.

Sorry you are going through that, and your kids - what is the access situation?  If she controls it, you, them, then best to consider supervised access or access without her around.

• Don't get dragged down by people who dismiss what you know is true, you can't make them accept it.

Gaslighting is an example of this, making people feel they have got something wrong when deep down they know they were right, it causes confusion and doubt that opens you up to more, or worse.

Sorry you are going through that, and your kids - what is the access situation?  If she controls it, you, them, then best to consider supervised access or access without her around.

Children