Really struggling with cleaning/ household tasks

I have just had a diagnosis of apsergers (with a fair amount of adhd traits too) at 38. I have a long history of depression and anxety. I am struggling most with executive functioning and it is the adhd traits that seem to be causing my the most problems at the moment. I have struggled for so long with keeping my house clean and uncluttered. My house is full of clutter and I am a huge procrastinator, have very low motivation and even if I do actually manage to do some housework I get distracted or can't seem to  do it for long. I get over whelmed by everything that needs to be done but also seem to have an issue with just doing a little bit at a time. 

I have been criticised by my husband and my parents for so long as they just couldn't understand why I found it all so difficult. I wish I could employ a cleaner and someone to help me organise things but I don't have the money. 

Any adivce woulde be much appreciated. I was only diagnosed last week and am still getting my head around it all. 

Parents
  • Hello, I really get this. I have inertia too. Do you see an autism psychologist of any sort? Inertia around starting and stopping tasks is a real problem, but when I got my diagnosis they said they can help with this.  If you are lucky enough to get the support of a psychologist or similar, maybe mention it. It's not just housework, it's an impairment in life that can lead to bigger problems.

Do take care with yourself. I will also try the tips suggested by Maia. 

• Hello, I really get this. I have inertia too. Do you see an autism psychologist of any sort? Inertia around starting and stopping tasks is a real problem, but when I got my diagnosis they said they can help with this.  If you are lucky enough to get the support of a psychologist or similar, maybe mention it. It's not just housework, it's an impairment in life that can lead to bigger problems.

Do take care with yourself. I will also try the tips suggested by Maia. 

Children