PIP assessment. Argh. Any positive stories?

Hello Forum People. 

I had my dreaded PIP assessment for my renewal a week or so ago. I currently get the enhanced daily living component based on a previous mental health issues only diagnosis but since then I've been diagnosed with Asperger's.

The assessment was worse than I expected. I was constantly cut off mid way through explanations and rarely allowed to finish answering questions. When I was able to answer a bit more fully I was asked 'why' again and again: 'why was I not under the mental health team?', 'why did I not receive help from an Asperger's service?' and 'why could I not do x or y?' - all questions beyond my understanding or control (ie funding cuts mean there is not an adult Asperger's service in my area). 

I am now panicking...a lot. My ESA is tied into my PIP benefit. I can't face losing either, let alone both. 

My question is: has anyone had any kind of positive stories about PIP, especially after such a negative assessment experience? I hope so... 

Thank you. 

Parents
  • Mr Poo said:

I have been repeatedly turned down for PiP because it is mostly based on physical imparement and mental ability.  As Aspergers doesn't have a physical or mental imparement trait, then having such a diagnosis should not entitle anyone to PiP.

To get PiP, even with anxiety and depression comorbid with Aspergers, requires a physical disability... Without that physical disability component... it would take a severe exageration of your issues to be awarded PiP... I fell short simply because I told the truth about being physically able, and agreed that I am not mentally incapable of following instructions.  My anxiety, depression and Aspergers aren't sufficient in and of themselves to gain such an award.

Hi,

Sorry but I have to disagree with that.

If you truly don't share the same issues that often result from ASD, then count yourself fortunate.

I think as a result of my Asperger's I've always had agoraphobia. As a child & adult I've never wanted to go out. Having to go out fills me with dread. So much so that I no longer can at all. During my late teens & early 20s, while 'normal people' apparently enjoyed going out after work partying/entertaining, I was at home obsessively lining up my mineral & gemstone collection.

I can explain further:

1) I can't leave my flat & I have no skills to work from home.

2) I have no focus & fidget/zone out if having to think about work related activities. Which can result in actual blackouts where I've toasted my hand & impaled myself on broken glass.

3)I can't even get out of bed in the morning & always have felt this way since childhood.

4) I'm a very bad timekeeper, due to the fact I adamantly can't stand going out & mixing in the first place. 

5) I suffer with thoughts of not even wanting to exist, due to living in a world so far from sanity. I Remember hearing every alarm, traffic beep. I remember every smell i.e. others peoples disgusting smelly lunches, even from decades ago. I still remember. 

6) I can't follow simple instructions because I either don't understand the instruction or obsess too much over getting it perfect.

7) Even the smallest amount of light sets off my agonising migraines.

Asperger's is classed as autism. And this even by itself is classed as a learning disability. Which is a mental impairment. The confusion comes over where on the autism spectrum you're placed. With Asperger's the default setting appears to be the assumption we are the least affected. Few people are adequately assessed in enough detail by a properly qualified professional, so it's also hard to prove otherwise.

• Mr Poo said:

I have been repeatedly turned down for PiP because it is mostly based on physical imparement and mental ability.  As Aspergers doesn't have a physical or mental imparement trait, then having such a diagnosis should not entitle anyone to PiP.

To get PiP, even with anxiety and depression comorbid with Aspergers, requires a physical disability... Without that physical disability component... it would take a severe exageration of your issues to be awarded PiP... I fell short simply because I told the truth about being physically able, and agreed that I am not mentally incapable of following instructions.  My anxiety, depression and Aspergers aren't sufficient in and of themselves to gain such an award.

Hi,

Sorry but I have to disagree with that.

If you truly don't share the same issues that often result from ASD, then count yourself fortunate.

I think as a result of my Asperger's I've always had agoraphobia. As a child & adult I've never wanted to go out. Having to go out fills me with dread. So much so that I no longer can at all. During my late teens & early 20s, while 'normal people' apparently enjoyed going out after work partying/entertaining, I was at home obsessively lining up my mineral & gemstone collection.

I can explain further:

1) I can't leave my flat & I have no skills to work from home.

2) I have no focus & fidget/zone out if having to think about work related activities. Which can result in actual blackouts where I've toasted my hand & impaled myself on broken glass.

3)I can't even get out of bed in the morning & always have felt this way since childhood.

4) I'm a very bad timekeeper, due to the fact I adamantly can't stand going out & mixing in the first place. 

5) I suffer with thoughts of not even wanting to exist, due to living in a world so far from sanity. I Remember hearing every alarm, traffic beep. I remember every smell i.e. others peoples disgusting smelly lunches, even from decades ago. I still remember. 

6) I can't follow simple instructions because I either don't understand the instruction or obsess too much over getting it perfect.

7) Even the smallest amount of light sets off my agonising migraines.

Asperger's is classed as autism. And this even by itself is classed as a learning disability. Which is a mental impairment. The confusion comes over where on the autism spectrum you're placed. With Asperger's the default setting appears to be the assumption we are the least affected. Few people are adequately assessed in enough detail by a properly qualified professional, so it's also hard to prove otherwise.

Children
No Data