noise sensitivity (lfn aswell)

hi guys, does anyone else have noise sensitivity problems or problems with low frequency noises? I thought it would be a good idea for me to set up this space for us to discuss any problems we may be having in regards to these matters. Any help, advice and strategies would be more than welcome. thanks, mike.

• Yeah I do find music good in the day and relaxing sleep music too.

• Isolate make some pretty good earplugs. 

• The type of ear plug I use it hard to describe, so best just look up earplug brands such as Downbeats, LiveMus!c or ACS with the word concert. They have 3 (sometimes 2) Sound deflecting cups on them. Prices vary but you can probably get a good set for as low as £10-£15.
    They are also another option for any one who struggles in a busy room with lots of people talking. They take out some of the detail while leaving a natural sound so you can forget your wearing them. 

• mikebha, do you like listening to music?

• Aspergerix not sure. its very concerning though. how many years have you had this problem?

• Does anyone know how long it takes for our brains to get over our LFN problem? both in the short term and long term please.

MidEssexGuy yep washing machines are my problem too.

vometia I also wear headphones when im out.

lostmyway noise sensitivity certainly is a double edged sword! its also interesting how lfn can travel through soild walls more easily, this sucks but thanks for the info!

MidEssexGuy what kind of ear plugs are they exactly/where can i get them from?

• I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I've comparatively recently taken to wearing headphones when I'm out and about.  Which is admittedly not very often, but I think it helps a lot.

It says a lot when some random punk rock or "nasty rock'n'roll" to quote Lemmy is preferable to the sound of the world doing whatever it is that it does.  But it is.

• thankyou for your comments chaps. very interesting stuff so far. hope to here plenty more from many more people too.

• random said:
    Anway two freezers that were beside the same isle, were very noisy. You would hear them rattle and hum, but the sound was rythmic, as they were both a little out of phase of each other. There was just something about the sound they that hooked me, and I stood between them for several minutes to take it all in

Random

You could start a new form of urban music and call it 'freezer hum'.

• Sound's a funny thing. By that, I mean the right kind of sound can be ok or even wonderful (as in some music) but the wrong kind can be a right royal pain in the a***.

I suppose being sensitive to sound is a double-edged sword - it can take you to the heights of ecstasy or the depths of Hell! I've experienced both in the past and presumably it has something to do with the kind of brain chemistry/nervous system you have.

• Hi, I have noise sensitivities; the worst is a tidal barrier being built close to work. They use this motorised hammer that sits on top of a big metal pile. Which vibrates to force the pile in to the ground.

I can't say I have tied it down to frequencies, another annoying one for me is a new colleague at work who does this partial touch typing very fast, only when he is typing social messages, not work related. It's not particularly loud, and I had not been too bothered by typing noise in the past, and I have worked full time in the same industry for 20 years.

Another big one for me, is kid's squeeling sound in the nursery over the road, or in a supermarket.

Oddly, one of my recent interests have been old audio equipment, and the setup I have now, the bass sound really fills and dominate the space, I find it very realaxing and engaging. One of my old interests, was experimenting with sounds on a synthesizer; There were certain sounds and charateristics to a sound that would draw my interest in.

Something, I brought up in my diagnosis. Over a year ago, I was in the large Tesco in town. Have been there years. Anway two freezers that were beside the same isle, were very noisy. You would hear them rattle and hum, but the sound was rythmic, as they were both a little out of phase of each other. There was just something about the sound they that hooked me, and I stood between them for several minutes to take it all in

Random

• mikebha said:

Any help, advice and strategies would be more than welcome. thanks, mike.

What strategies can be used to eliminate anti-social noise in a neighbourhood ?

How do you control an environment you have no control over ?

• Low frequencies are irritating because low frequencies can travel through solid matter more readily than higher frequencies. When someone is having a party nearby it's the blinkin throb of the low frequency beat that gets through walls and windows, not so much the other stuff. Drives me crazy.

• Certain low frequencies bother me, like the noise my washing machine makes *shudders*.  If the noise is on the "quiet but still very irritating" level I use the type of ear plugs that are ment to be used for concerts as they are good at bringing all frequencies down.

• Hi mikebha

I have noise sensitivity problems, many of them.

Low frequency noise, yes indeed, BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM the THUMPING PUMPING THROBBING PULSING base drums blaring from the car speakers of hooligans who pull up outside one's place of residence at the dead of night causing the windows and doors to shake and vibrate.......