where would I start discussion about having a partner with Aspergers?

I am not his parent or carer yet I know there must be many of us who think we are married or in a relationship with someone who is on the spectrum.

Parents
  • I know how you feel. It can seem that they are "self centred and unemotional". My son is recently diagnosed with autism and I am convinced that my husband is also on the spectrum. When we were going through the diagnosis I suggested this to dh and he didn't want to admit it but as the symptoms and difficulties associated with ds's diagnosis were explained to him, he is gradually coming around to the idea. Now we joke about it and when his symptoms materialise I call him my aspie hubby, and he sees the funny side of it.

It was difficult at first especially when I was ill with a bipolar episode. I couldn't understand why he was behaving the way he did. But now that I have done my own research we have been able to work on both our issues together.

• I know how you feel. It can seem that they are "self centred and unemotional". My son is recently diagnosed with autism and I am convinced that my husband is also on the spectrum. When we were going through the diagnosis I suggested this to dh and he didn't want to admit it but as the symptoms and difficulties associated with ds's diagnosis were explained to him, he is gradually coming around to the idea. Now we joke about it and when his symptoms materialise I call him my aspie hubby, and he sees the funny side of it.

It was difficult at first especially when I was ill with a bipolar episode. I couldn't understand why he was behaving the way he did. But now that I have done my own research we have been able to work on both our issues together.

Children
No Data