Getting a Job

Isnt it really unfair that employers turn people away because they have HFA or Asperger syndrome?? 

I believe there isnt a lot of support from the UK government when it comes to tackling job employment for the disabled. Would i be right in saying that??

Who on here actually has a part-time or full-time job?

Parents
  • Well professional integrity springs to mind. A reference is a signed and "permanent" record, a little chat on the phone is off the record. Also you can think about what you are saying in a written reference, but may say more than you ought to, or go so far and then retreat creating more lines to read between, in a verbal exchange on the phone.

The same dilemma exists whether written or spoken, professionally speaking you are not supposed to divulge disability, for reasons arising from disability legislation and confidentiality. What I was trying to raise was the danger arising from what goes unsaid in a reference for a disabled person which might do more harm than good.

Also it is well known that employers will phone people they know in a workplace, other than the referee and try to elicit clarification. We know that goes on widely. And in such informal conversations may be imparted "well between ourselves he's a bit strange you know, there's been rumours he may be autistic, and he is very difficult when asked to do some tasks - he could be a problem employee". But that happens in any context, and as you say, who's to know what was imparted in a phonecall.

What I'm trying to highlight here are possible vulnerabilities in formal documentation. Under the counter, stealth and plain lack of discretion and unprofessional conduct not-withstanding.

• Well professional integrity springs to mind. A reference is a signed and "permanent" record, a little chat on the phone is off the record. Also you can think about what you are saying in a written reference, but may say more than you ought to, or go so far and then retreat creating more lines to read between, in a verbal exchange on the phone.

The same dilemma exists whether written or spoken, professionally speaking you are not supposed to divulge disability, for reasons arising from disability legislation and confidentiality. What I was trying to raise was the danger arising from what goes unsaid in a reference for a disabled person which might do more harm than good.

Also it is well known that employers will phone people they know in a workplace, other than the referee and try to elicit clarification. We know that goes on widely. And in such informal conversations may be imparted "well between ourselves he's a bit strange you know, there's been rumours he may be autistic, and he is very difficult when asked to do some tasks - he could be a problem employee". But that happens in any context, and as you say, who's to know what was imparted in a phonecall.

What I'm trying to highlight here are possible vulnerabilities in formal documentation. Under the counter, stealth and plain lack of discretion and unprofessional conduct not-withstanding.

Children
No Data