Protecting Yourself From Meltdown

Hi everyone,

If you are ever in a situation that can trigger a meltdown, do you always try to remove yourself from the triggering situation, or do you try to tough it out? I am in a situation where there is a lot of audible stimuli that I can't cope with very well but I am trying to tough it out because I don't wish to be hurtful towards the people who are causing the disturbances that trigger a meltdown in me. Is this the right thing to do, or should I always try to remove myself from the situation to protect my own sanity? I would be very grateful for any advice.

Paddy

Parents
  • 3 months ago I met a man Cameron 49 years old and an alcoholic of 25 years.

He was charming well educated and he liked me because I listened to him.

He had just come out of hospital after serious self harming behaviour as he had tried to cut his hand off. If ever someone wanted human understanding and attention it was him. As we talked he confided in me his life story. I have had experience of living with an aspergers adult before and Cameron displays very similar characteristics and behaviour. Needs admiration of others and dresses to get attention, but also acts like a child. very creative and absolutely brilliant at building model boats. Has achieved good education but does not read books. probably has another personality disorder as well.

Is preoccupied with knives guns and gansters and has a terribly innapropriate sense of humour. Has terrible self loathing and an unstable self image. tells his parents to shut up because he finds them boring and wants to be the centre of attention.

His mother an ex school teacher just tramples all over him and never listens to what he wants which just makes him angry. He must be the most misunderstood person I have ever met.

after a meeting with a psychiatrist the other day they treated him just like any other alcoholic and told him they would do nothing untill he reduced his alcohol two 2 units a day. He tried to explain that he didnt want rehab as he has done that many times but desperately wants a detox. I think he is AS but noone will listen.

He set himself on fire a while back due to his long time girlfriend leaving him.

He desperately wants someones attention.

have you got any suggestions as to where we go from herebefore he kills himself.

Thanks.

Howard Kelly 

• 3 months ago I met a man Cameron 49 years old and an alcoholic of 25 years.

He was charming well educated and he liked me because I listened to him.

He had just come out of hospital after serious self harming behaviour as he had tried to cut his hand off. If ever someone wanted human understanding and attention it was him. As we talked he confided in me his life story. I have had experience of living with an aspergers adult before and Cameron displays very similar characteristics and behaviour. Needs admiration of others and dresses to get attention, but also acts like a child. very creative and absolutely brilliant at building model boats. Has achieved good education but does not read books. probably has another personality disorder as well.

Is preoccupied with knives guns and gansters and has a terribly innapropriate sense of humour. Has terrible self loathing and an unstable self image. tells his parents to shut up because he finds them boring and wants to be the centre of attention.

His mother an ex school teacher just tramples all over him and never listens to what he wants which just makes him angry. He must be the most misunderstood person I have ever met.

after a meeting with a psychiatrist the other day they treated him just like any other alcoholic and told him they would do nothing untill he reduced his alcohol two 2 units a day. He tried to explain that he didnt want rehab as he has done that many times but desperately wants a detox. I think he is AS but noone will listen.

He set himself on fire a while back due to his long time girlfriend leaving him.

He desperately wants someones attention.

have you got any suggestions as to where we go from herebefore he kills himself.

Thanks.

Howard Kelly 

Children
No Data