Protecting Yourself From Meltdown

Hi everyone,

If you are ever in a situation that can trigger a meltdown, do you always try to remove yourself from the triggering situation, or do you try to tough it out? I am in a situation where there is a lot of audible stimuli that I can't cope with very well but I am trying to tough it out because I don't wish to be hurtful towards the people who are causing the disturbances that trigger a meltdown in me. Is this the right thing to do, or should I always try to remove myself from the situation to protect my own sanity? I would be very grateful for any advice.

Paddy

Parents
  • Thank you very much for your very good advice. When I am at home, I tend to keep myself to myself as much as possible. In the beginning I think my parents found it difficult to understand how I was feeling, but they have thankfully become a little more understanding.

After some experimentation, I have found that listening to "white noise", like the sound of running water, on my ipod helps the most. I haven't had a lot of luck with earplugs, sadly, all the ones I have tried have been less than useless.

I find that my meltdowns are definitely caused by a combination of things, like when I am feeling unwell, the tv is too loud, my parents are talking loud, that kind of thing. I can cope with one thing at a time, but it's when they occur all together than my anxiety levels rise and I have a meltdown.

Thank you for your advice, again, and I will definitely give those earplugs a try too.

• Thank you very much for your very good advice. When I am at home, I tend to keep myself to myself as much as possible. In the beginning I think my parents found it difficult to understand how I was feeling, but they have thankfully become a little more understanding.

After some experimentation, I have found that listening to "white noise", like the sound of running water, on my ipod helps the most. I haven't had a lot of luck with earplugs, sadly, all the ones I have tried have been less than useless.

I find that my meltdowns are definitely caused by a combination of things, like when I am feeling unwell, the tv is too loud, my parents are talking loud, that kind of thing. I can cope with one thing at a time, but it's when they occur all together than my anxiety levels rise and I have a meltdown.

Thank you for your advice, again, and I will definitely give those earplugs a try too.

Children
No Data