Protecting Yourself From Meltdown

Hi everyone,

If you are ever in a situation that can trigger a meltdown, do you always try to remove yourself from the triggering situation, or do you try to tough it out? I am in a situation where there is a lot of audible stimuli that I can't cope with very well but I am trying to tough it out because I don't wish to be hurtful towards the people who are causing the disturbances that trigger a meltdown in me. Is this the right thing to do, or should I always try to remove myself from the situation to protect my own sanity? I would be very grateful for any advice.

Paddy

Parents
  • I am sorry your in this situation. I have exactly the same issue. yes, absolutely i think it best to try and remove yourself, but sometimes its just not possible & you have to try and get through it.  

My meltdowns are caused by my (much loved, but...) unpredicatble mess making child, crying baby and husband who combined make a lot of stressful noise & demands on me all at the same time. My husband trys to understand & I think it helps if the people who are causing the disturbance know how it is affecting you. hopefully, if they are considerate and kind they will try to modify there behaviour). Is there anyway you can explain to the people who are causing the disturbance?

On a practicle note. For unavoidable noisy areas & where I might need to hear some of what is going on (driving, supermarket, place where other people might be). I wear noise cancelling ear plugs. They reduce the noise, but you can still hear. They are unfortunately quite expensive & easily lost. The cheapest I have found are from boots. They are purple, so not as easily lost, people can see you are wearing them. which may or may not be a good thing.

www.boots.com/.../

These ones are fantastic, but very expensive, but the colour means people cant see your wearing them.

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_1

For full on situations, where I can feel I am just about to go nuclear. I put these ear defenders on and try and remove myself from the situation. Yes they do make these for adults. The quality is good, they clamp quite fimly on the head tho. They fold up compactly for traveling about, but they are quite hard to put on one handed. not sure if that is an issue.

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_ph

You can get ear defenders that dont fold up too from amazon and screwfix. I dont have any of these, so not sure how effective they are.

I find using one sound to mask another makes it worse for me, but once I am on my own and a bit calmer, using calming classical music, tibetan siging bowls (yes I know a bit new agey, but relaxing none the less) or visualising meditations, that help to use another sense calm me down. or watching stuff on iplayer, also helps distract me and calm me down.

These practicle meassure help, but I still find it hard. I am still learning.

Hope that helps. good luck! 

• I am sorry your in this situation. I have exactly the same issue. yes, absolutely i think it best to try and remove yourself, but sometimes its just not possible & you have to try and get through it.  

My meltdowns are caused by my (much loved, but...) unpredicatble mess making child, crying baby and husband who combined make a lot of stressful noise & demands on me all at the same time. My husband trys to understand & I think it helps if the people who are causing the disturbance know how it is affecting you. hopefully, if they are considerate and kind they will try to modify there behaviour). Is there anyway you can explain to the people who are causing the disturbance?

On a practicle note. For unavoidable noisy areas & where I might need to hear some of what is going on (driving, supermarket, place where other people might be). I wear noise cancelling ear plugs. They reduce the noise, but you can still hear. They are unfortunately quite expensive & easily lost. The cheapest I have found are from boots. They are purple, so not as easily lost, people can see you are wearing them. which may or may not be a good thing.

www.boots.com/.../

These ones are fantastic, but very expensive, but the colour means people cant see your wearing them.

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_1

For full on situations, where I can feel I am just about to go nuclear. I put these ear defenders on and try and remove myself from the situation. Yes they do make these for adults. The quality is good, they clamp quite fimly on the head tho. They fold up compactly for traveling about, but they are quite hard to put on one handed. not sure if that is an issue.

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_ph

You can get ear defenders that dont fold up too from amazon and screwfix. I dont have any of these, so not sure how effective they are.

I find using one sound to mask another makes it worse for me, but once I am on my own and a bit calmer, using calming classical music, tibetan siging bowls (yes I know a bit new agey, but relaxing none the less) or visualising meditations, that help to use another sense calm me down. or watching stuff on iplayer, also helps distract me and calm me down.

These practicle meassure help, but I still find it hard. I am still learning.

Hope that helps. good luck! 

Children
No Data