Parents Deafness

Hello everyone. I would like to ask a question regarding how to deal with parents who are suffering from age-related deafness. I recently bought some earplugs so I can spend a bit more time with them without having a meltdown, or causing a general argument but I am unsure what to do. I tried the earplugs and they don't seem to work very well. Obviously, I may have to try a range of them before I find some I like, or, alternatively, buy some noise-cancelling headphones, but, can I ask how anyone else deals with a situation like this? Do I leave the room, making myself more distant to them, at times, or should it be up to me to accomodate them because I live with them? It's very difficult for me to work out the best course of action that causes the minimum amount of upset for everyone. Thanks for any advice.

Parents
  • Hi, and thank you for the advice. Sadly, my parents are not really open to changing their behaviour for me, but they have become a little more understanding regarding how I feel. I am still in the process of seeking a diagnosis as to whether I am on the autistic spectrum(in many ways I am scared that it will be decided that I am not on the spectrum, but I still believe that I am), and my belief that I am on the spectrum came out of nowhere, after reading everything I possibly could about autism and asperger's syndrome.

Since my mother started going deaf they have started talking much louder than they used to, yes, and that is exacerbated by the fact that my mother needs the tv volume louder than she used to. My hearing is still good enough to hear a text come through on my phone when I am downstairs, and my phone is upstairs, with all the doors closed too, so I think that definitely adds to the problem.

Hopefully, when I am finally diagnosed we will all come to terms with it, eventually, and learn to live together so that everyone is happy.

Thank you again for your message and advice.

• Hi, and thank you for the advice. Sadly, my parents are not really open to changing their behaviour for me, but they have become a little more understanding regarding how I feel. I am still in the process of seeking a diagnosis as to whether I am on the autistic spectrum(in many ways I am scared that it will be decided that I am not on the spectrum, but I still believe that I am), and my belief that I am on the spectrum came out of nowhere, after reading everything I possibly could about autism and asperger's syndrome.

Since my mother started going deaf they have started talking much louder than they used to, yes, and that is exacerbated by the fact that my mother needs the tv volume louder than she used to. My hearing is still good enough to hear a text come through on my phone when I am downstairs, and my phone is upstairs, with all the doors closed too, so I think that definitely adds to the problem.

Hopefully, when I am finally diagnosed we will all come to terms with it, eventually, and learn to live together so that everyone is happy.

Thank you again for your message and advice.

Children
No Data