Question on terms: what is meltdown and what is stimming?

The title says (asks) it all really.  I keep seeing these terms but they are new to me (since joining this forum and wrong planet forum).  Nobody seems to explain them, its as if it's taken for granted that everyone will already know what they mean.

I have picked up that 'stimming' means some form of self-stimulation and that hand-flapping is a classic 'stimming' example. I am pretty sure I don't do any 'stimming' unless keeping clenched fists a lot of the time counts?

As for meltdowns, I get very frustrated and angry when things I'm doing don't go right.  I feel very tense around my chest and in my head, and I can sometimes swear very loudly when things get on top of me (usually when there's nobody else around to offend).   Is this 'meltdown'?

Parents
  • Stimming - 

"repetition of physical movements, sounds, or repetitive movement of objects common in individuals with developmental disabilities, but most prevalent in people with autistic spectrum disorders. It is considered a way in which autistic people calm and stimulate themselves.Therapists view this behavior as a protective response to being overly sensitive to stimuli, with which the individual blocks less predictable environmental stimuli." - en.wikipedia.org/.../Stimming

I think the difference between stimming and just general fidgeting is really difficult to define, and it will depend on the type, quantity and intensity of fidgeting (sort of like the blurred line between a "normal" passion for a certain topic, and a special interest). 

I have a huge array of stims, the most common are flapping my fingers, rocking and hair pulling. It's also a misconception that stimming only happens if autistic individuals are anxious - I stim more obviously when I'm excited or happy about something. I have a range - very happy (lots of stimming), normal/anxious - since anxious is my normal state of being (regular amounts of stimming), and more anxious than usual (slightly less stimming in the lead up to a meltdown).

Meltdowns - 

A meltdown is "a complete loss of behavioural control". And often presents like a temper tantrum. - www.autism-causes.com/the-meltdown.html

Mine appear exactly like temper tantrums: I sob, scream, am liable to hit myself on things, I usually very quickly fall to the floor, I shout out about how the world is unfair (most recently because "the time was wrong"). However, this isn't actually a temper tantrum, because I would do this completely on my own at home without anyone around - I'm not trying to get attention or change anything with my behaviour. When I'm in meltdown I usually feel very scared, because I realise that I have absoutely no control over anything - I'm not sure how hard I'm hitting myself on things, and because I'm so out of control, I know that it is quite possible that I could hit myself so hard I seriously injure myself.

• Stimming - 

"repetition of physical movements, sounds, or repetitive movement of objects common in individuals with developmental disabilities, but most prevalent in people with autistic spectrum disorders. It is considered a way in which autistic people calm and stimulate themselves.Therapists view this behavior as a protective response to being overly sensitive to stimuli, with which the individual blocks less predictable environmental stimuli." - en.wikipedia.org/.../Stimming

I think the difference between stimming and just general fidgeting is really difficult to define, and it will depend on the type, quantity and intensity of fidgeting (sort of like the blurred line between a "normal" passion for a certain topic, and a special interest). 

I have a huge array of stims, the most common are flapping my fingers, rocking and hair pulling. It's also a misconception that stimming only happens if autistic individuals are anxious - I stim more obviously when I'm excited or happy about something. I have a range - very happy (lots of stimming), normal/anxious - since anxious is my normal state of being (regular amounts of stimming), and more anxious than usual (slightly less stimming in the lead up to a meltdown).

Meltdowns - 

A meltdown is "a complete loss of behavioural control". And often presents like a temper tantrum. - www.autism-causes.com/the-meltdown.html

Mine appear exactly like temper tantrums: I sob, scream, am liable to hit myself on things, I usually very quickly fall to the floor, I shout out about how the world is unfair (most recently because "the time was wrong"). However, this isn't actually a temper tantrum, because I would do this completely on my own at home without anyone around - I'm not trying to get attention or change anything with my behaviour. When I'm in meltdown I usually feel very scared, because I realise that I have absoutely no control over anything - I'm not sure how hard I'm hitting myself on things, and because I'm so out of control, I know that it is quite possible that I could hit myself so hard I seriously injure myself.

Children
No Data