Question on terms: what is meltdown and what is stimming?

The title says (asks) it all really.  I keep seeing these terms but they are new to me (since joining this forum and wrong planet forum).  Nobody seems to explain them, its as if it's taken for granted that everyone will already know what they mean.

I have picked up that 'stimming' means some form of self-stimulation and that hand-flapping is a classic 'stimming' example. I am pretty sure I don't do any 'stimming' unless keeping clenched fists a lot of the time counts?

As for meltdowns, I get very frustrated and angry when things I'm doing don't go right.  I feel very tense around my chest and in my head, and I can sometimes swear very loudly when things get on top of me (usually when there's nobody else around to offend).   Is this 'meltdown'?

Parents
  • Thanks for your very honest and open post Codger. I used to have what I had always regarded as fits of rage when I was between around 12 and 22, when I'd smash things -usually things that I really didn;t want to lose, as if punishing myself. I'd also shout and swear at the top of my voice. It must have been scary for other people and I'd hate myself after I;d calmed down.  These days (and for a long time) I don;t smash or throw things but I still feel myself getting wound up and unless I can take control quickly (by changing where I am and what I;m doing completely), I often snap. But snapping only entails shouting and swearing - very loudly but not copiously (often just a single F***! for example).  God knows what the neighbours must think!

I think I've had the opposite thing, ie: where I have felt overwhelmed by situations (almost always social situations) and kind of withdrawn intomyself so far I can;t speak, all I can do is pretent to be asleep or unconscious.  Don;t know whether anyone has anything like this?

• Thanks for your very honest and open post Codger. I used to have what I had always regarded as fits of rage when I was between around 12 and 22, when I'd smash things -usually things that I really didn;t want to lose, as if punishing myself. I'd also shout and swear at the top of my voice. It must have been scary for other people and I'd hate myself after I;d calmed down.  These days (and for a long time) I don;t smash or throw things but I still feel myself getting wound up and unless I can take control quickly (by changing where I am and what I;m doing completely), I often snap. But snapping only entails shouting and swearing - very loudly but not copiously (often just a single F***! for example).  God knows what the neighbours must think!

I think I've had the opposite thing, ie: where I have felt overwhelmed by situations (almost always social situations) and kind of withdrawn intomyself so far I can;t speak, all I can do is pretent to be asleep or unconscious.  Don;t know whether anyone has anything like this?

Children
No Data