Question on terms: what is meltdown and what is stimming?

The title says (asks) it all really.  I keep seeing these terms but they are new to me (since joining this forum and wrong planet forum).  Nobody seems to explain them, its as if it's taken for granted that everyone will already know what they mean.

I have picked up that 'stimming' means some form of self-stimulation and that hand-flapping is a classic 'stimming' example. I am pretty sure I don't do any 'stimming' unless keeping clenched fists a lot of the time counts?

As for meltdowns, I get very frustrated and angry when things I'm doing don't go right.  I feel very tense around my chest and in my head, and I can sometimes swear very loudly when things get on top of me (usually when there's nobody else around to offend).   Is this 'meltdown'?

Parents
  • Thanks very much both Longman and Codger, your replies are helpful. I think I do get 'meltdowns', but I've never had one that takes months to recover from. But I do get ones that take a good 24 hours to recover from, sometimes a few days I suppose (although I'd never have thought to call them 'meltdowns' - to me, they've always been 'emotional upheavals' or similar).

The stimming thing is something I reckon I don't have. I clench my fists when feeling tense but that's probably what everyone does. I drum my fingers when bored or impatient, but same again.

Thanks again.

• Thanks very much both Longman and Codger, your replies are helpful. I think I do get 'meltdowns', but I've never had one that takes months to recover from. But I do get ones that take a good 24 hours to recover from, sometimes a few days I suppose (although I'd never have thought to call them 'meltdowns' - to me, they've always been 'emotional upheavals' or similar).

The stimming thing is something I reckon I don't have. I clench my fists when feeling tense but that's probably what everyone does. I drum my fingers when bored or impatient, but same again.

Thanks again.

Children
No Data