Aspergers Syndrome- Dating and establishing a relationship

Hello,

I was wondering whether the autistics among us have ever experienced any issues with liking someone romantically, and trying to get to know them, dating them, and becoming closer etc. I've recently started to develop in this area and so far it has been a pretty miserable experience. I had a 10-month crush on a girl at my uni which sadly came to nothing because she entered into a relationship of her own just recently. Throughout this time I found it very difficult not to get preoccupied with this and there was constant confusion about what the other person felt. I think this relates a great deal to how people with Aspergers have trouble reading body language and knowing how to talk to others. There were mixed signals, although not intentional I don't think, and it was both thrilling to like someone but a bit of a hell with all this confusion. Despite the fact that I should be getting over her, it is proving difficult and she still invades my thoughts regularly. This makes me feel ashamed and wonder whether I am a selfish, pathetic individual. Does anyone here with Aspergers have any similar experiences?
Parents
  • I have had experiences of relationships. Trying to get into an relationship is not easy but I've found that it does get easier after the first one.

The start of getting into my first relationship was one of the most difficult experiences I've ever gone through. I was 17 at the time; but I acted as if I was a 13 year old girl going through her first crush. If it wasn't for one of my friends, who knows about my condition and understands it well, I probably wouldn't have gone out with the guy in the end because of how akward I was when I first met him.

We went out for about 3 years and in that time I learnt a lot about relationships which helped me a lot when my current boyfriend and I were in the courtship stage. This is what I think helped me in get into my current relationship:

1) Talk about similar interests. For me this was easy as my boyfriend is clearly a fellow metalhead and so it was the starting point for a conversation. Since you go to university being in a society will be helpful to meet and talk to people. It also increases your chances of finding someone. I met my boyfriend on a social night out with the rock society. Anyway, talk about your interests and this will go on to other topics as well. Be careful not to talk too much about one thing. If you happen to do that just say, "sorry, if I've bored you but I have a really big interest in..."

2) Body Language: The most difficult point I know. Unfortunately we have to do a lot of guess work when it comes to other people's body language. This website has a lot of good tips on helping understand about other people's body language so I recommened you read through it. But it is important to remember your own body language. When I had a good guess on how my boyfriend was feeling about me I slowly started moved closer to him in terms of space. Not much just a little so he wouldn't get uncomfortable. You have to be careful in not making this too obvious and make sure they actually like you overwise it'll put the other person off. If you really struggle with this then have a friend act as a wring man for you. Preferably one that knows and understands your condition. They'll be able to help you a lot.

3) Appreance: Yes, it's vain but start of relationships is based on attration and appreance. You don't need to be wearing your best clothes but make sure you look clean and tidy. Girls like guys to be clean and smell nice. It's a really big turn off for girls when guys don't look nice or they smell bad.

I hope this helps you. Sorry if I went off on one a bit. I hope you can find someone. ^^

• I have had experiences of relationships. Trying to get into an relationship is not easy but I've found that it does get easier after the first one.

The start of getting into my first relationship was one of the most difficult experiences I've ever gone through. I was 17 at the time; but I acted as if I was a 13 year old girl going through her first crush. If it wasn't for one of my friends, who knows about my condition and understands it well, I probably wouldn't have gone out with the guy in the end because of how akward I was when I first met him.

We went out for about 3 years and in that time I learnt a lot about relationships which helped me a lot when my current boyfriend and I were in the courtship stage. This is what I think helped me in get into my current relationship:

1) Talk about similar interests. For me this was easy as my boyfriend is clearly a fellow metalhead and so it was the starting point for a conversation. Since you go to university being in a society will be helpful to meet and talk to people. It also increases your chances of finding someone. I met my boyfriend on a social night out with the rock society. Anyway, talk about your interests and this will go on to other topics as well. Be careful not to talk too much about one thing. If you happen to do that just say, "sorry, if I've bored you but I have a really big interest in..."

2) Body Language: The most difficult point I know. Unfortunately we have to do a lot of guess work when it comes to other people's body language. This website has a lot of good tips on helping understand about other people's body language so I recommened you read through it. But it is important to remember your own body language. When I had a good guess on how my boyfriend was feeling about me I slowly started moved closer to him in terms of space. Not much just a little so he wouldn't get uncomfortable. You have to be careful in not making this too obvious and make sure they actually like you overwise it'll put the other person off. If you really struggle with this then have a friend act as a wring man for you. Preferably one that knows and understands your condition. They'll be able to help you a lot.

3) Appreance: Yes, it's vain but start of relationships is based on attration and appreance. You don't need to be wearing your best clothes but make sure you look clean and tidy. Girls like guys to be clean and smell nice. It's a really big turn off for girls when guys don't look nice or they smell bad.

I hope this helps you. Sorry if I went off on one a bit. I hope you can find someone. ^^

Children
No Data