Aspergers Syndrome- Dating and establishing a relationship

Hello,

I was wondering whether the autistics among us have ever experienced any issues with liking someone romantically, and trying to get to know them, dating them, and becoming closer etc. I've recently started to develop in this area and so far it has been a pretty miserable experience. I had a 10-month crush on a girl at my uni which sadly came to nothing because she entered into a relationship of her own just recently. Throughout this time I found it very difficult not to get preoccupied with this and there was constant confusion about what the other person felt. I think this relates a great deal to how people with Aspergers have trouble reading body language and knowing how to talk to others. There were mixed signals, although not intentional I don't think, and it was both thrilling to like someone but a bit of a hell with all this confusion. Despite the fact that I should be getting over her, it is proving difficult and she still invades my thoughts regularly. This makes me feel ashamed and wonder whether I am a selfish, pathetic individual. Does anyone here with Aspergers have any similar experiences?
Parents
  • This is all great insight from you guys, and it's so good to hear it from someone else. 

The fact is, unfortunately, people with AS generally lack that intuitive empathy and ability to talk nonsense that most NT people need as an essential social lubricant. I can't stop myself tumbling into an in-depth monologue on subjects that interest me. This is an instant turn-off for most people. Most NTs are attracted to people who can have a laugh (at themselves most importantly), and who can go with the flow, have fun.

My upbringing was fine on the surface, but totally lacking in any meaningful emotional interaction within the family. I never learned how to relate to people within my family. If you don't learn it at that early stage, it will be extremely difficult to pick it up later on.

Now I can see why I have struggled to sustain relationships, the problem stemming from a distant relationship with my parents, most critically with my mum. Looking back, it is so obvious that AS has been in my family for generations.

I was diagnosed AS at 34, I'm now 39.5! People I meet just don't feel comfortable in my company, they can just sense my 'issues' without me saying a word. Then I open my mouth and it's game over. My special interests (not outlandish ones - music, hillwalking) have now taken over the role of companion, and people know it.  I used to be able to form relationships, but just couldn't sustain them. Now I can't even form them.

So I've come to the conclusion that it's best to stick to your interests and try to make contact with potential partners through that context, fingers crossed. If you have AS, you are living daily life on an uneven playing field, and that will never change. Music is a fundamental part of who I am, so the idea of spending the rest of my life with someone for whom music means little or nothing is just not an option. 

Call me picky, but I've gone to the ends of the earth to try and go with the flow, be flexible and it doesn't work, not for someone like me. I'm sticking to my strengths, studying music - that way even if I have to live the rest of my life alone, at least I'll have something to show for my loneliness...

AS has pretty much messed everything up for me, but to throw in the towel would just be too tragic.

• This is all great insight from you guys, and it's so good to hear it from someone else. 

The fact is, unfortunately, people with AS generally lack that intuitive empathy and ability to talk nonsense that most NT people need as an essential social lubricant. I can't stop myself tumbling into an in-depth monologue on subjects that interest me. This is an instant turn-off for most people. Most NTs are attracted to people who can have a laugh (at themselves most importantly), and who can go with the flow, have fun.

My upbringing was fine on the surface, but totally lacking in any meaningful emotional interaction within the family. I never learned how to relate to people within my family. If you don't learn it at that early stage, it will be extremely difficult to pick it up later on.

Now I can see why I have struggled to sustain relationships, the problem stemming from a distant relationship with my parents, most critically with my mum. Looking back, it is so obvious that AS has been in my family for generations.

I was diagnosed AS at 34, I'm now 39.5! People I meet just don't feel comfortable in my company, they can just sense my 'issues' without me saying a word. Then I open my mouth and it's game over. My special interests (not outlandish ones - music, hillwalking) have now taken over the role of companion, and people know it.  I used to be able to form relationships, but just couldn't sustain them. Now I can't even form them.

So I've come to the conclusion that it's best to stick to your interests and try to make contact with potential partners through that context, fingers crossed. If you have AS, you are living daily life on an uneven playing field, and that will never change. Music is a fundamental part of who I am, so the idea of spending the rest of my life with someone for whom music means little or nothing is just not an option. 

Call me picky, but I've gone to the ends of the earth to try and go with the flow, be flexible and it doesn't work, not for someone like me. I'm sticking to my strengths, studying music - that way even if I have to live the rest of my life alone, at least I'll have something to show for my loneliness...

AS has pretty much messed everything up for me, but to throw in the towel would just be too tragic.

Children
No Data