Let it go and move forward

Quick request for advice.

Last september I had a devastating blow when my career path was stopped in my last year of training. Since then I have been unable to fully move on and I am still unable to let it go. I think about was has happened everyday fixating on it and replaying it and the causes.

It is making me unwell with growing low self esteem and my ability to cope with it is getting more difficult. I struggle to process the pain that comes with replaying it and this manifests in physically unhealthy ways.

What I am asking for is any ways that have helped others to let go of unhealthy fixations.

Any formulas for letting go of things that are painful and moving forward?

Thank you

Parents
  • I think you need to experiment to find the best way for you. Personally I find I have to let the emotions come. It is horrible but they always somehow burn themselves out and then I can move on. Sometimes a shutdown is needed to kind of press the "reset button".

Distraction and focusing on something else may work, but may also cause you to push down the negative emotions. If you are just ruminating, focus on your next step and work towards that. But don't forget to do things that you enjoy.

The problem with autism is that we are all so very different and what works for someone may not work for someone else.

• I think you need to experiment to find the best way for you. Personally I find I have to let the emotions come. It is horrible but they always somehow burn themselves out and then I can move on. Sometimes a shutdown is needed to kind of press the "reset button".

Distraction and focusing on something else may work, but may also cause you to push down the negative emotions. If you are just ruminating, focus on your next step and work towards that. But don't forget to do things that you enjoy.

The problem with autism is that we are all so very different and what works for someone may not work for someone else.

Children
No Data