Adult Meltdowns

does any other adults have meltdowns? I had one the other day when i was out during it everything but my dad was blurred i was just screaming and shouting stuff i cant remember now, 

after that i cried for a good amount of time i couldnt control any of it had to let it happen until it was over

im guessing this is a case of a meltdown

Parents
  • Marjorie195 said:

I have meltdowns with people I know well, not strangers. My husband suffers most from it. It was held in check by the medication I took until a few years ago.

If someone I shouldn't yell at upsets me, or if there is a general build up of tension, then sooner or later I start shouting, after I get home. My husband says that I over-react to trivial situations, but it's just that he will be on the end of a backlash that has been building for some time.

I have been discussing asd with him sometimes lately, and he is beginning to understand that my breaking point arrives sooner than most people. It makes him angry if I "over-react", so now, we have decided to walk away for a cooling off period when either of us is angry with the other. We then sit and talk, some time later, to work out what went wrong. He thinks I am volatile. He also thought that I had changed, but I pointed out that we did row a lot, before I went on meds, so maybe I have just reverted to normal, but am out of practise with coping with it.

I persuaded him to do the asd questionnaire recently, and he scored 26, so maybe he is somewhere on the lower end of the spectrum.

Coincidentally, when I am around strangers and I feel anxious or upset or worried about something, I tend to tell them that I have a neurological disability and/or Autism and ask for them to be patient with me. 

I did this in Natwest one day when I had difficulty with my debit card (it had been frozen due to a suspicious transaction).  I was taken to a quiet part of the bank and a member of staff called the fraud hotline for me and I was able to sort the matter out. 

• Marjorie195 said:

I have meltdowns with people I know well, not strangers. My husband suffers most from it. It was held in check by the medication I took until a few years ago.

If someone I shouldn't yell at upsets me, or if there is a general build up of tension, then sooner or later I start shouting, after I get home. My husband says that I over-react to trivial situations, but it's just that he will be on the end of a backlash that has been building for some time.

I have been discussing asd with him sometimes lately, and he is beginning to understand that my breaking point arrives sooner than most people. It makes him angry if I "over-react", so now, we have decided to walk away for a cooling off period when either of us is angry with the other. We then sit and talk, some time later, to work out what went wrong. He thinks I am volatile. He also thought that I had changed, but I pointed out that we did row a lot, before I went on meds, so maybe I have just reverted to normal, but am out of practise with coping with it.

I persuaded him to do the asd questionnaire recently, and he scored 26, so maybe he is somewhere on the lower end of the spectrum.

Coincidentally, when I am around strangers and I feel anxious or upset or worried about something, I tend to tell them that I have a neurological disability and/or Autism and ask for them to be patient with me. 

I did this in Natwest one day when I had difficulty with my debit card (it had been frozen due to a suspicious transaction).  I was taken to a quiet part of the bank and a member of staff called the fraud hotline for me and I was able to sort the matter out. 

Children
No Data