In England, are people with an ASD considered disabled and/or vulnerable under English Law?

In England, under English Law (Mental Health Capacity Act, Vunerable Adults Act, Disability Discrimination Act, Equalities Act, Autism Act, etc), are adults with an ASD considered to be disabled, mentally disabled, vulnerable adults, or similar?

And if so, what are the legal rights of such ASD suffers, what are they entitled to that differ from a non-ASD person, so on and so forth, etc? 

(I have Asperger Syndrome and suffer badly from depression, anxiety, paranoia, fear for the future, difficulty coping with change, etc.  So I am wondering whether I am considered as having a disablity, a mental disability, and/or considered a vulnerable adult.)

Parents
  • While I suspect it is the case that I'm mild,  I'm conscious of being distanced into the "mild ASD and borderline cases often have more empathy" previously posted as "to have AS proper and not be a borderline case" and "maybe clinicians are becoming more liberal in their approach to diagnosis". I'm getting the feeling I've intruded into a private club. 

My milder AS aside, I've read widely on this and been involved helping others. I'm not aware of there being a neat divide between "real" and "borderline". Im not convinced as to what qualifies being a member of the "real" club.

This is important because there are a lot of parents reading these postings who have children or teenagers or young adults and are looking at the long term prospects for them coping through life. The picture being painted is that most people with Aspergers will be helpless and dependent most of their lives. I know many with quite marked aspergers who do lead independent lives.

Also I do keep coming back to this. What is the point of using Einstein, Wittgenstein, Newton etc as exemplars of people who had asperger traits if the interpretation offered is - oh well they were marginal cases, because they were successful?

The picture is too deppressing, unless NAS can come up with some suggestions as to how to inform discussions.

• While I suspect it is the case that I'm mild,  I'm conscious of being distanced into the "mild ASD and borderline cases often have more empathy" previously posted as "to have AS proper and not be a borderline case" and "maybe clinicians are becoming more liberal in their approach to diagnosis". I'm getting the feeling I've intruded into a private club. 

My milder AS aside, I've read widely on this and been involved helping others. I'm not aware of there being a neat divide between "real" and "borderline". Im not convinced as to what qualifies being a member of the "real" club.

This is important because there are a lot of parents reading these postings who have children or teenagers or young adults and are looking at the long term prospects for them coping through life. The picture being painted is that most people with Aspergers will be helpless and dependent most of their lives. I know many with quite marked aspergers who do lead independent lives.

Also I do keep coming back to this. What is the point of using Einstein, Wittgenstein, Newton etc as exemplars of people who had asperger traits if the interpretation offered is - oh well they were marginal cases, because they were successful?

The picture is too deppressing, unless NAS can come up with some suggestions as to how to inform discussions.

Children
No Data