In England, are people with an ASD considered disabled and/or vulnerable under English Law?

In England, under English Law (Mental Health Capacity Act, Vunerable Adults Act, Disability Discrimination Act, Equalities Act, Autism Act, etc), are adults with an ASD considered to be disabled, mentally disabled, vulnerable adults, or similar?

And if so, what are the legal rights of such ASD suffers, what are they entitled to that differ from a non-ASD person, so on and so forth, etc? 

(I have Asperger Syndrome and suffer badly from depression, anxiety, paranoia, fear for the future, difficulty coping with change, etc.  So I am wondering whether I am considered as having a disablity, a mental disability, and/or considered a vulnerable adult.)

Parents
  • Thanks Jim V- Mod for clarification. I was not eager to try and find my way through the maze, so valuable to have an official statement from NAS to give us points of reference.

Thanks Hope for reiterating the point about "significant impairment" - but I think that is also an issue of definition.

I do wonder whether my diagnosis amounts to significant impairment. I had real trials when younger. I seem to be getting better as I get older. The lack of close friends or relationships bothers me sometimes but I seem to get by. My biggest problem as I get older is the difficulty of having anyone to seek help from. Relatives will help but i'm 150 miles from my nearest. I'm just disasterously bad at getting to know anyone enogh to ask for help, even though I know a lot of people who I daresay would help if I wasn't so inclined to put up needless barriers.

My concern too, from what I understand about diagnosis, is that it risks people giving up and not fighting it. I don't think I could just give up and admit to being helpless, but then I'm fortunate in being a long long way from being helpless.

Does that make my diagnosis folly? I'm extremely grateful for the insight it has given me, and the means to make things better.

• Thanks Jim V- Mod for clarification. I was not eager to try and find my way through the maze, so valuable to have an official statement from NAS to give us points of reference.

Thanks Hope for reiterating the point about "significant impairment" - but I think that is also an issue of definition.

I do wonder whether my diagnosis amounts to significant impairment. I had real trials when younger. I seem to be getting better as I get older. The lack of close friends or relationships bothers me sometimes but I seem to get by. My biggest problem as I get older is the difficulty of having anyone to seek help from. Relatives will help but i'm 150 miles from my nearest. I'm just disasterously bad at getting to know anyone enogh to ask for help, even though I know a lot of people who I daresay would help if I wasn't so inclined to put up needless barriers.

My concern too, from what I understand about diagnosis, is that it risks people giving up and not fighting it. I don't think I could just give up and admit to being helpless, but then I'm fortunate in being a long long way from being helpless.

Does that make my diagnosis folly? I'm extremely grateful for the insight it has given me, and the means to make things better.

Children
No Data