CV

I am at that stage were i need to wright my CV and at 18 im beging to wonder if I should put the fact that I have aspergers on my CV, but I'm worried if I do that i won't be able to get a job because of how crewl the world of work is to those with apergers and austim.

Don't get me worng I'm not looking for a part time job just yet but i like to be perpered for everything and anything that could come up

Has anyone else been in this situation before

[name removed by moderator]

Parents
  • No, I would not put the Asperger's on your CV personally. I didn't. I can understand if you want to be honest and open about your Asperger's though. Some application forms will ask about any disabilities/health requirements and it should be declared on there, otherwise I think that should wait for an interview though in order not to put people off before they've met you. What you could do is use whatever positives you feel Asperger's may bring you (if you have a deep understanding of a particular facit of your chosen job area or your concentration, commitment to hard work, etc) and work that into your CV. 

One of the popular questions in an interview is asking what you feel is your biggest weakness, perhaps you could say (if you felt it was true) that you felt your weakness was your Asperger's and why, HOWEVER you might go on to explain that you felt Asperger's has some positives (if that's true...) and what they are, and also what measures you might be taking to minimise the effects by, say, being involved with Autism groups (like this one) and I looked into customer care courses to add training how to deal with customers etc... They apparently prefer to hear an actual weakness followed by positive reactions rather than a stereotypical "weakness that isn't really a weakness" answer like "I'm too much of a perfectionist".

Another thing I'd advise from experience, if you are like me (I've only just got my first job at 26 because I've found it difficult to even THINK about getting a job!) but see if you can do any volunteering in your chosen job field, especially at a place that may later employ you. That way you can slowly get used to a) doing jobs in a workplace b) the skills required c) the people, who may later open doors for you and who you may grow to feel comfortable with before a job opening comes up. Even doing a couple of hours voluntary work every week or even fortnight may help. You can even put it on your CV to add practical work to whatever qualifications you have.

• No, I would not put the Asperger's on your CV personally. I didn't. I can understand if you want to be honest and open about your Asperger's though. Some application forms will ask about any disabilities/health requirements and it should be declared on there, otherwise I think that should wait for an interview though in order not to put people off before they've met you. What you could do is use whatever positives you feel Asperger's may bring you (if you have a deep understanding of a particular facit of your chosen job area or your concentration, commitment to hard work, etc) and work that into your CV. 

One of the popular questions in an interview is asking what you feel is your biggest weakness, perhaps you could say (if you felt it was true) that you felt your weakness was your Asperger's and why, HOWEVER you might go on to explain that you felt Asperger's has some positives (if that's true...) and what they are, and also what measures you might be taking to minimise the effects by, say, being involved with Autism groups (like this one) and I looked into customer care courses to add training how to deal with customers etc... They apparently prefer to hear an actual weakness followed by positive reactions rather than a stereotypical "weakness that isn't really a weakness" answer like "I'm too much of a perfectionist".

Another thing I'd advise from experience, if you are like me (I've only just got my first job at 26 because I've found it difficult to even THINK about getting a job!) but see if you can do any volunteering in your chosen job field, especially at a place that may later employ you. That way you can slowly get used to a) doing jobs in a workplace b) the skills required c) the people, who may later open doors for you and who you may grow to feel comfortable with before a job opening comes up. Even doing a couple of hours voluntary work every week or even fortnight may help. You can even put it on your CV to add practical work to whatever qualifications you have.

Children
No Data