I feel stupid for thinking I might have autism

Ive been considering the possibly that I may have autism for a few years now, but I’ve never done anything to about it. I’ve just taken a bunch of online assessments and stuff, but until recently I never actually made an effort to seek diagnosis bc I have always felt like an idiot for even considering it. I go online and see people talking about how everyone thinks they have autism bc of tiktok and it’s just made me feel silly for thinking that I do too.

however, recently I’ve been regularly seeing a counselor at my university who has been heavily pushing me to seriously consider seeking a diagnosis. I also have had a second counselor and even a professor tell me that some of the feelings I describe having (i struggle with severe social issues and often feel like I’m not even human bc human connection feels so impossible to me) sound like autism. So, I’m now on a waitlist. I still feel dumb for thinking I might have it and I worry that I’m going to burn $600 on this assessment just to be told I’m not autistic and an idiot for even thinking it. 

Parents
  • Hi, I’m not sure if TikTok is a reliable source of information, I don’t even use it. But if a councillor tells you, then I think it’s worth to look into. Some of us may feel stupid for considering ourselves autistic, maybe because of stereotypes about what autism is. On this site there are really helpful articles about considering getting diagnosis, pre and post diagnosis support. Also I find discussions in this forum helpful.  In my case I remember that my teachers told my mom they suspect I’m autistic, and now psychiatrist and psychologist told me the same thing. The online screening tools are also good for detecting autism, especially the RAADS test. When it comes to social media I use this site and YouTube. There are some really good channels there, like “Asperger’s from the inside” by Paul Micalleff. There are also books, but I currently can not recommend anything because I’m so busy I can’t even finish my favorite book I started half year ago. 

• Hi, I’m not sure if TikTok is a reliable source of information, I don’t even use it. But if a councillor tells you, then I think it’s worth to look into. Some of us may feel stupid for considering ourselves autistic, maybe because of stereotypes about what autism is. On this site there are really helpful articles about considering getting diagnosis, pre and post diagnosis support. Also I find discussions in this forum helpful.  In my case I remember that my teachers told my mom they suspect I’m autistic, and now psychiatrist and psychologist told me the same thing. The online screening tools are also good for detecting autism, especially the RAADS test. When it comes to social media I use this site and YouTube. There are some really good channels there, like “Asperger’s from the inside” by Paul Micalleff. There are also books, but I currently can not recommend anything because I’m so busy I can’t even finish my favorite book I started half year ago. 

Children
No Data