Kemi Badenoch

Kemi Badenoch says autistic children do not get “better treatment or equipment at school”. Tell that to my autistic son who comes home and breaks down each night from the strain of going to school and is almost unable to leave the house at weekends from exhaustion.

She says autistic adults receive “economic advantages and protections” at work and in society. No we don't. I have had over 40 jobs in the last 15 years and almost every single one has led to a breakdown or burnout due to trying to survive in a workplace not designed for my needs. 

Each time I try to heal and pick myself up and go again to the next job because I know there is no other alternative. because process to claim PIP or other disability benefits for me or my son is nearly impossible.

The worst thing about Kemi's thoughtlessness is it will feed into the stereotypes and misconceptions that so many people already have about autistic people in this country. There will be so many reactionary idiots reading that today and nodding their heads and saying "oh finally someone's saying it". Her words will make this country an even more inhospitable, understanding place for autistic people than it already is. We already know we're not welcome, we don't need a potential future Prime Minister saying it

Parents Reply Children
No Data