Why sm i so angry that i was diagnosed as an adult and not when i was younger

i was diagnosed at 29 with autism, i have reached the anger stage of acceptance, i am not sure why i am so angry i think it is because if i was diagnosed earlier i may of received the help i needed at school and people would of treated me differently instead of bullying me, i went my whole life being bullied for being different, i also have fibromyalgia now so that doesn't help, i struggle to make friends i just keep myself to myself and do my work, does anyone have any advice, how did you feel when you were diagnosed later on in life. 

Parents
  • I can relate. I'm just a few years older than you and was diagnosed at the end of last year. I've been feeling pretty frustrated that it wasn't picked up earlier ever since. I do think my mental health would've been a lot better if I hadn't been misdiagnosed for so long, and therefore having incorrect treatments. I defiantly get stuck on 'what ifs' and think about how life could've been better if I'd have known sooner and was able to get the help and accommodations I needed.

We've been talking about radical acceptance in therapy recently and using this skill to accept what has happened and move forwards. I'm currently working on this but not quite there yet Sweat smile

I'm trying to concentrate on the fact that I know now and so can put things in place that will actually help moving forwards. Also to focus on the relief of knowing why I have the difficulties I do and for them to finally be acknowledged.

• I can relate. I'm just a few years older than you and was diagnosed at the end of last year. I've been feeling pretty frustrated that it wasn't picked up earlier ever since. I do think my mental health would've been a lot better if I hadn't been misdiagnosed for so long, and therefore having incorrect treatments. I defiantly get stuck on 'what ifs' and think about how life could've been better if I'd have known sooner and was able to get the help and accommodations I needed.

We've been talking about radical acceptance in therapy recently and using this skill to accept what has happened and move forwards. I'm currently working on this but not quite there yet Sweat smile

I'm trying to concentrate on the fact that I know now and so can put things in place that will actually help moving forwards. Also to focus on the relief of knowing why I have the difficulties I do and for them to finally be acknowledged.

Children
No Data