Why sm i so angry that i was diagnosed as an adult and not when i was younger

i was diagnosed at 29 with autism, i have reached the anger stage of acceptance, i am not sure why i am so angry i think it is because if i was diagnosed earlier i may of received the help i needed at school and people would of treated me differently instead of bullying me, i went my whole life being bullied for being different, i also have fibromyalgia now so that doesn't help, i struggle to make friends i just keep myself to myself and do my work, does anyone have any advice, how did you feel when you were diagnosed later on in life. 

Parents
  • Hi! Welcome to the community and congratulations on your diagnosis!

What you've described is very common, especially among us late-diagnosed autistic adults.

I felt the same at the outset (including the relief you mentioned) - and my experience has been that these stages aren't necessarily rigidly structured. I'm just over one year on from my diagnosis and I still feel lots of different emotions about it at different times, still including some backward-looking anger, frustration, and grief.

Even just this morning, I remembered another situation from my past, about which I now feel freshly frustrated and embarrassed. More recently, though, the balance has shifted towards more forward-looking thoughts. But it's still a journey. 

You might find this related NAS article helpful:

NAS - How will I feel after receiving an autism diagnosis

There's a whole bunch of other very useful information, too, covering the After diagnosis stage of our journeys, including:

• Talking about and disclosing your autism diagnosis
    • Emotional support for family members after a diagnosis
    • Formal support following an autism diagnosis
    • What can I do if formal support is not offered or is not enough

NAS - After diagnosis

• Hi! Welcome to the community and congratulations on your diagnosis!

What you've described is very common, especially among us late-diagnosed autistic adults.

I felt the same at the outset (including the relief you mentioned) - and my experience has been that these stages aren't necessarily rigidly structured. I'm just over one year on from my diagnosis and I still feel lots of different emotions about it at different times, still including some backward-looking anger, frustration, and grief.

Even just this morning, I remembered another situation from my past, about which I now feel freshly frustrated and embarrassed. More recently, though, the balance has shifted towards more forward-looking thoughts. But it's still a journey. 

You might find this related NAS article helpful:

NAS - How will I feel after receiving an autism diagnosis

There's a whole bunch of other very useful information, too, covering the After diagnosis stage of our journeys, including:

• Talking about and disclosing your autism diagnosis
    • Emotional support for family members after a diagnosis
    • Formal support following an autism diagnosis
    • What can I do if formal support is not offered or is not enough

NAS - After diagnosis

Children
No Data